Instek 30V/3A power supply design, dual transformer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cobalt60

Well, I think Ive asked enough questions here to pretty well know how to design a linear power supply. For example, I know my old Power Designs uses a variac instead of a regular transformer, to minimize voltage drop.

Now, it has been suggested to me that many power supplies use a center tapped transformer, so the transformer outputs either full voltage or half voltage, to minimize voltage drop. I was just curious what the design of my Instek supply I use at work might be. I can hear a solenoid activate 3 times when switching from 0V to 30V. This happens at approximately 7V, 15V, and 22V.

So if I had to guess, Id say this power supply probably uses dual center tapped transformers. Do you guys agree?

-Chris P

So if I had to guess, Id say this power supply probably uses dual center tapped transformers. Do you guys agree?

No, as a commercial product they aren't limited by standard transformers, most likely it's a specially wound multi-tap one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…