Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Installing XP Pro on my laptop...

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only thing i like about 2k is the fact that there is a true admin acount. I do agree that 98 was a bit ickey with LFN, but it worked. I didnt use LFN back then anyways.

Hero999 said:
No, in fact there's very little difference between XP and 2k, they're practically the same OS.

Both are just later versions of Windows NT, as Windows 98 was a later version of Windows 95. Millenium Windows didn't ever really know what it was - apart from a complete mess! (but basically a slightly modified, with added bugs, Win98).

ME is by far the worst edition ever released. I have never really used it, but every system i seen with it on it usually ended up in the junk...

Such a shame when all it needed was a semi-decent OS installing.

Nope. The systems were crap, too. They were built SO cheap, that they literally cooked themselves.

How do you know it was the OS and not the hardware?

The software started failing WAY before the hardware did.

The Mad Professor said:
Getting around Win2k's validation requirement that ships as part of service pack three was a lot easier than WinXp's I must admit.

XP one is easy. I will have the find the file on it. I was going to write a program to do it and post it on the web, just had no time. But it is simple.
And also all my windows are legal :)

Marks256 said:
Mine too are "legal"...

I wonder if the other (not legal) people have problems. Bet not..

I was just working on a project. Something died (USB device), PIC got hot as heck too. Grabed my backup one. PC makes the happy dong sound (DO-DO).. Neither work though (Windows must have broken the driver as I have swapped them out before (just for fun) no problems).

I reboot, I power off.. I waste a couple hours.. Microsoft should be paying us for their JUNK OS.

Removed USB driver, re-installed. Imagine that. None work. Thank God I kepted my parallel version (third backup).. Not happy programming chip, moving to target, like the plug on board and do it.. But I will do it to deliver, and it will not be do to Microsoft.

Windows is a POS but we are stuck with it until someone writes a good OS, or the major players move there code to the good OSs; Unix (I need eagle cad, photoshop, etc).

When was Unix written??? Well it works.

Tried to reload the USB drivers. I think Microsoft might have designed the USB too, with all its complex-ness and intermitant problems. And where did firewire wire go. I know the few devices I had, it always worked.

Actually, apple designed USB.

USB is a pain.

But my project is done. Fixed a mistake (HW) and burnt the chip with a parallel port P16PRO40 (and Nigels code 16F628A).

ICD2 was cool when it worked. I gave my inchworm to my grandfather as I had a USB unit for free. Well, I BET the serial (non USB) inchworm would work. I hate USB..

Marks256 said:
Actually, apple designed USB.

Actually apple design Firewire (a far superior [still] serial protocol), Apple is part of the USB consortium tho

mramos1 said:
Windows is a POS but we are stuck with it until someone writes a good OS, or the major players move there code to the good OSs; Unix (I need eagle cad, photoshop, etc).

EagleCAD is available for Linux btw and Gimp is actually pretty good (but if you really need photoshop it runs well via WINE)

in fact I only have windows for 2games now and with QuakeWars (linux client) and UT2007 (Linux client) coming out early 07 I won't need it either

One thing I never understood with Windows is when you plug in a USB-stick it goes "found new hardware... installing driver" even though

1) exactly the same part (comp issued mem stick all from same manu)
2) in the end uses the same driver (usbstor.sys)

so why bother, Linux doesn't, OSX doesn't...
in fact my Gentoo install "just works" and it is 64bit

I still haven't been able to get winxp x64 to work...it doesn't like my 64 bit computer for some reason. One cd it just won't start up off of, and the other just gives an error message.

32 bit version still works fine though... :D

I heard that XP x64 is really buggy.

No 'ordinary' person actually needs a 64 bit operating system anyways. You'd have to be doing an incredibly large number of very precise operations to need a processor that can handle 64 bit data nativly.

The main reason for using a 64-bit processors is they can handle more than 4GB of memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back