Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Installing XP on a SATA drive Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

bryan1

G'day Guy's,
A mate gave me a laptop that had crashed with vista, now it's a compaq pressirio C500. I reformatted the drive using G-parted and flagged the drive as boot but noway will my XP disk see the HD. Both Knoppix and puppy linux see the HD ok so is there any way I can install XP on this laptop or due to winsucks policies will the laptop be a linux one from this day forward.

Regards Bryan

Don't know whether I'm misunderstanding you here but the CD drive should be the boot drive in order to install XP?

I don't know how other can see the HD and XP is not. As you said you formatted the HD using 'G-parted' and I think it is GNOME partition editor. I very simply guessed that you formatted the disk with another (linux suitable) file system? Can't you reformat the HD with FAT ot NTFS again using G-part?

Hi Guy's,
In G-Parted I DID setup the HD as NTFS and tried then tried FAT32( and yes I did format the HD each time) and still no go. Now when the boot flag wasn't set XP booted as soon as the laptop was turned on and with the 'boot flag' set on boot up it comes up with press enter to boot CD. In both cases XP keeps saying there is no HD. So it really has me stuffed as to why XP won't see it.

OK burnt another CD and finally got XP to start installing so EM if you want to delete this thread go head mate.

Regards Bryan

When you install XP it gives the option to install sata drivers.... You need the sata driver on disk ( or USB stick ).

There is a piece of software on the web that puts XP on a USB drive complete with sata drivers and you can install from that. Similar to this.

OK burnt another CD and finally got XP to start installing so EM if you want to delete this thread go head mate.

Regards Bryan
hee hee hee I think no need to delete such threads because it is also a problem. Some time we are doing another mistakes and asking about another thing so we will be fail to get answers, experts get confuse too. I also did sometime same type of mistakes in electronics. So it teaches us to be very careful. :)
There is a piece of software on the web that puts XP on a USB drive complete with sata drivers and you can install from that.
Once I tried to install XP through USB using a software. It was triple slow, then I never tried. I don't know what was the problem. Sometime some USB stick (specially old or partially corrupted) itself works very slow.
But installing OS from USB is so comfortable and more portable too. Some notebook has no DVD drive so we need external drive. But each notebook/laptop/desktop has USB port.

Last edited:
G'day Guy's,
A mate gave me a laptop that had crashed with vista, now it's a compaq pressirio C500. I reformatted the drive using G-parted and flagged the drive as boot but noway will my XP disk see the HD. Both Knoppix and puppy linux see the HD ok so is there any way I can install XP on this laptop or due to winsucks policies will the laptop be a linux one from this day forward.

Regards Bryan

XP install disk will not detect a SATA drives by default. You will need to use F6 to install a driver externally.
Why take the trouble for all this? Go to the BIOS of the Laptop and use the option to define the HDD as "IDE compatible" (or something like that). XP install will then detect the HDD.

Ramesh

Well guys after 4 installs of XP I finally got it last night and tonight my mate who is wrapped is coming to pick up the laptop. The problem I had was once the laptop rebooted XP was stuck on the 'start normally' screen and wouldn't boot. Anyway with that 4th install I just let it go and was totally wrapped when it rebooted ok. apart from the normal micrsucks warnings on a new xp install the laptop is pretty speedie and side by side with this 64 bit puter the laptop does seem quicker. (time to do some work on this 64 bit of win7 crap too)

Regards Bryan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back