Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

input to transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnsonjp34

Greetings All,

I'm trying to build a voltage multiplier that is fed by a audio output transformer (273-1380). My source is a 9 V battery. My question is how do I convert the DC to AC so that it will work in the transformer? Can I make a square wave generator out of something like a 555 to feed the transformer or something like a lm358 or some other op amp? I don't quite understand what an op amp does in inverting mode. Is the output on an inverting op amp a form of AC?

Thanks,

JJ

Yes, there are several popular circuits out there using a 555 to drive that transformer. You drive the 8 Ohm side (secondary) and get your output off the primary side. About all you will manage to do is ionize a NE2 lamp but it does work. What exactly are you trying to do?

Ron

I've got some gieger tubes so I'm trying to build a gieger counter. Ionizing is exactly what I want. I'll look around for some 555 plans. Anyone have any that they recommend?

This link shows a simple neon lamp power source. However, as I mentioned it really does not provide any current to speak of. About all it does is get a NE2 bulb to glow. To get it right this would go much, much better if you could define the voltage and current you need?

Ron

These are the stats on the tube:

Working Voltage 380-460V

Working Current 0.015-0.02 mA

I have a bunch of 0.033 uf 200v capacitors and 200v fast recovery diodes sitting around for the voltage multiplier.

Thanks,

JJ

420V at 18mA is 7.56W.
A little 555 can produce only about 1.2W.
The transformer produces a voltage and current much too low.
A voltage multiplier will reduce the output current even more.

If the gieger tube uses only 20uA then a transformer with a higher stepup ratio and better insulation will produce the higher voltage from a 555.
Maybe the transformer from an old camera's flash circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back