Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Inner voice

Status
Not open for further replies.
and ignore the soul and spirit you will never get the answer to your question.

I would rather be left with an honest question than take a lie for an answer.

Yes, and if you are actually hearing sounds it seems to reason that the parts of the brain responsible for processing speech would light up in an MRI or something.

Actually your correct I recently watched a study about that very thing.

They used someone's mind first playing Beethoven the regions of the brain stimulated mostly the frontal lobes part of it was in the parietal lobe but still mostly in the frontal lobes.

When they were asked to play the image of the music back in their mind they were stimulated in the same regions similarly.

So, by mapping the same regions may result as the mind then would create the words. I myself pass beyond it like someone else said here.

I don't here the voice while reading. It's like I just know the meaning and do not pay any attention to the actual sounding of it phonetically in my mind.

kv:)

Last edited:
I am a word thinker myself. Every thought I can come up with is sort of like having a really brilliant person or several people in my mind telling me how to make something or understand something! ;)

I am a clueless dummy but the voices in my head are absolute geniuses!:p
(And one rather fair comedian.) :D

Go figure.

The inner ear is where our hearing converts mechanical hearing to bio electrical signals that the brain processes. I am certain it is possible to share these signals between two people. How? I have no idea, but interesting question none the less.

Inner Voices

I don't actually hear voices in my head. But, when I was a child, I occasionally would. Like I would hear my mother call me in...and then find that she hadn't.

But, I do have a pretty active inner dialog and often teach myself things. That is, I go through the same process of explaining them to myself (including all the arguments, back and forth) as if explaining them to another person.

I have extremely vivid dreams and am often amazed at the level of detail. In fact, I sometimes will sort of stop, during the dream, and try to analyze what I'm seeing in the hopes of remembering it better when I wake up so, I know that, at least sometimes, I have a sense that I am dreaming. Unfortunately, most dreams are lost on awakening and, even the dreams that are remembered lose virtually all of those fine details.

When I do design work and talk to myself, it's a lot like my inner monologue but, of course, vocalized. There's a really terrible old movie, Frankenhooker where this guy accidentally kills his girlfriend with a lawnmower and attempts to put her back together again. There's a scene where he's figuring out the details. Of course, it's technically inaccurate but, the process would be familiar to most technicians and engineers as he talks himself through the circuitry.

I've been mulling a movie script in my head for the past few months where a gang of Middle East terrorists have acquired a nuclear bomb they are going to detonate in a US city. The FBI captures one of the planners but, due to some sub-plots involving a "politically correct" US President, who wont allow torture, the terrorist wont divulge his knowledge and the bomb plot continues. Anyway, some rogue agents decide to get the info by other means. They do brain scans on the terrorist to isolate activity for certain questions and then actually, surgically remove and transplant those brain bits to another person to get the data. Of course, one of the brain bit recipients is a little girl with terminal brain cancer who agrees to help (more sub-plots of the struggle of the parents, etc.). Anyway, you get the idea. I have the basic story line blocked out but, I'm looking for colaborators for this script (people who have technical knowledge on tactical nuclear weapons and remote detonators, MRI techniques, brain surgery, political and governmental machinery, Middle Eastern customs and personalities, military and industrial air, sea and land transport and border customs, etc. etc.). Oh, yeah...and people with the interest, writing skills and knowledge of motion picture script writing (using the, Final Draft scriptwriting program).

I feel some pressure to get this script written before the science fiction becomes science fact!

I couldn't get your link to work. Here's an interesting link: Broca's area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Some people have mentioned visualizing while thinking. Here's another interesting link: Visual cortex - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Of course, this doesn't isolate anything. I've wondered how diverse and unique the origin of worded thoughts - having a common dictionary meaning, may be in people. What really is their functionality? Are the ones' that allow people to socially survive nothing more than the result of a trend that results in sophisticated coincidences? What functionality and meaning can they have if not shared with people? What causes the development of new languages?

Last edited:
The Inner Sactum of the Inner Ear

The inner ear is where our hearing converts mechanical hearing to bio electrical signals that the brain processes. I am certain it is possible to share these signals between two people. How? I have no idea, but interesting question none the less.

Cochlear implants are commonly used as therapies for some kinds of deafness. When the nerves to the brain are intact but the inner ear isn't working, they can stimulate the nerve ends directly.

It has to be a very short step to a cochlear implant that parallel processes audio signals alongside a healthy inner ear. One that can be connected to a radio receiver to directly and remotely send audio to a person. It's a bit surprizing that something like that hasn't already shown up in a James Bond movie.

Do you really want someone to be able to talk to you 24 hours a day from inside your head? :eek:
And what happens when the FCC changes the frequency it works on into something like a public access communications frequency? 24 hours of nuts with transmitters running through your head! :eek:

No thanks.
The voices I have now at least get along and will shut up when I want them too! ;):p

I hear the voices in my head
swear to god it sounds like they're snoring

I suppose that this post could be at least three: the nature of this type of voice, the nature of thought, methods of transferring signals, and ways producing signals.

ZZZzzzzzZZZZZZZzzzzzzZZZZZZzzzzz...

If you're so boring that you put the voices in your own head to sleep, it might not be something you'd want to brag about.....

Cellular Madness

Do you really want someone to be able to talk to you 24 hours a day from inside your head? :eek:

It's not something I'd want but, when you see people with their cell phones glued to their ear, it's easy to imagine some that would.

Possibilites

I suppose that this post could be at least three: the nature of this type of voice, the nature of thought, methods of transferring signals, and ways producing signals.

There are certainly some practical aspects to maniplating the signals but, I suppose there's not much that can be done (at the current sttate of technology) for the naturally occurring voices.

shouldnt really make fun of schizophrenics (is that how you spell it?) imagine what would happen if you did ave voices telling you what to do in your head... would you listen?

There are certainly some practical aspects to maniplating the signals but, I suppose there's not much that can be done (at the current sttate of technology) for the naturally occurring voices.

I was thinking about something that not only probably won't be able to be done for a while - but something that hopefully also won't be done for a while without permission: coordinating radiation external to peoples' brains in such a way that will produce chemicals associated with thoughts.

Also, maybe I was too quick to suggest that this post be broken up.

Last edited:
shouldnt really make fun of schizophrenics (is that how you spell it?) imagine what would happen if you did ave voices telling you what to do in your head... would you listen?

What if the voices are telling you to do good things? Do you still ignor them?

If you're so boring that you put the voices in your own head to sleep, it might not be something you'd want to brag about.....

But if you're bored then you're boring
The agony and the irony, they're killing me

Last edited:

But if you're bored then you're boring
The agony and the irony, they're killing me

Are you really hearing voices? I don’t want to come across as a professional who is qualified to assess why you are hearing voices that sound like snoring. You said that they are voices that sound as though they are snoring. When I think of snoring, I usually don’t think of voices. Would you describe the voices in more detail?

I don’t know all of the reasons why people would hear voices that they don’t associate with something physical – such as a person, the origin of vibrations, or a sound machine. If you only hear the voices only when you are in certain locations, then there may be something external causing them associated with those locations. This might also be the case if the voices changed from location to location – where there was no apparent reason why your brain chemistry would be immediately and uniquely effected by those locations. The causes at these locations might be chemical, actual sounds, or maybe even social.

If the origin of the sound is biological – then another question might be are the sounds really snoring sounds or do they just sound like snoring sounds? Could it be a different type of auditory effect than one associated with a region in the brain where snoring happens?

I cannot emphasize enough that I am not a professional in this field. However, it occurred to me that being bored with something might involve a lot of mental activity – perhaps a type of mental activity associated with filtering. Maybe snoring might be a persons’ natural response to being overworked – physically, or paying too much attention to something – perhaps something interesting, etc. I know that socially it can be used to express disinterest. I suppose the question to asked, probably by someone who is more qualified then myself, is what is the cause of it?

I don’t know much about the brain, but I know it is complex. As I understand it, it is interconnected – but the regions in the brain near other regions in the brain may not be the regions that are signaling each other. These are just guesses. I’m not qualified to determine. But if regions of the brain near other regions that had an unrelated functionality started signaling each other then unexpected phenomenon such as snoring might result. And the regions wouldn’t necessarily have to be near each other. This type of effect might be unique from person to person.

What is the function of snoring? Is it a biological or learned behavior? If it is biological, if a person learns that it is blocking out sounds that indicate a threat, can a person learn not to snore. If it is learned – and people instinctually snore to block out sounds determined not to be a threat, could people instinctually do the same when they are awake as a filtering mechanism? Would it qualify as a voluntary, partly voluntary, or involuntary behavior%Proxy-Connection: keep-alive
Cache-Control: max-age=0

If it is biological and instinctual, what else could it be a prolonged reaction to? These are all just speculations. However, out of curiosity, can you increase or decrease the amount of snoring?

When you say agony and irony, are you referring to the people who are responding to your post or the voices?

Again, please do not accept anything that I have wrote in this post as identifying the cause.

Those are the lyrics from a Harvey Danger song, "Flagpole Sitta". Made the top 40 in 1998. Used as the theme to British comedy "Peep Show", used in the films "American Pie" and "Disturbing Behavior", used in the TV series "October Road" and "Psyche".

I'm assuming you and crashsite live in a cave somewhere...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back