Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

initial reports of my death are wrong!

Status
Not open for further replies.

large_ghostman

Most Helpful Member
Turned up on another forum first, and then spread to several others!!

Whats actually occurred is the BBC ran a story on guy found dead in Dumfries and Galloway because of a home lab chemical spill, the emergency services called in university experts to try and identify the substance and sealed off the area. The age of the guy wasnt given, so on some sites i am well known on, 2+2=5.

I live in Dumfries and galloway but the guy died in Dumfries itself, they still dont know what he made that killed him, (we have good idea though). The home chemistry hobby is pretty tight knit, everyone knows everyone else involved in it. Whats sad is this is another nail in the coffin of the hobby.

Waiting to have it confirmed but some of us are pretty sure we know who it is and what the liquid he spilled was. Harsh as it sound..........Complete idiot.

Waiting to have it confirmed but some of us are pretty sure we know who it is and what the liquid he spilled was. Harsh as it sound..........Complete idiot.

There but for the grace of God LG, but for the grace of God ! .. .. .. .. .

Me ? I'm like you .. I never make big misteaks !

S

Well sort of turns out things have been twisted a bit, there is an all out assault to kill off home chemistry. 100m exclusion zone blah blah blah, chemical on floor.... turns out we are all wrong. I just read a PM on another forum that gives more details. Is unfair the way the story has been portrayed

Most of us with labs or who do home chemistry do one of two things, we have a well equipped indoor lab or we do dangerous stuff outside with precautions. I now run a business and have a inside lab with the proper equipment, Even then i use appropriate safety gear with some things, even if i work in a fume cupboard.

There was some idiots around a few years back, but Darwin sorted most of them. The new version i have been given makes sense and turns out he wasnt an idiot its a scaremonger mentality by the police. He wasnt doing chemistry when he died. Yes he spilled chemicals at the time but nothing you dont normally spill.

Glad to see you're still with us, LG.

CNN insists your still dead and that Fox news saying your not is the fake news because the conspiracy theorists are claiming you're actually a CGI puppet of the illuminati now. :p

Guys, we have tangible proof of the after-life right here because ghosts never know that they're dead.

LMAO

Well the complete story and spot the total idiotic response.
This is via friend who's mum is a nurse at the hospital, and a bit of digging around as it turns out he was known within the chemistry community. Guy late 50's early 60's gets first responders to scene, he was alive but in a bad way and there was a chemical puddle near by. They tried to save the guy for 20 mins before the ambulance turned up, but no luck he died at the scene. So police turn up and the guy is dead and there is a smell of chlorine in the air.

Mad panic and evacuate 100m around the house, cordon everything off and hospital goes to code black and full Hazmat. The people (4 of them) inside the house when they tried to sort him out were all fine, no one bothered to check the bottle that was knocked over and said BLEACH!

All they saw was chemistry stuff out and books on the table. Chemophobia in the UK is mad, none of this has been cleared up or reported as yet!! So people in the area still think the guy was upto no good. Appalling.

Mad panic and evacuate 100m around the house, cordon everything off and hospital goes to code black and full Hazmat. The people (4 of them) inside the house when they tried to sort him out were all fine, no one bothered to check the bottle that was knocked over and said BLEACH!

Somebody trying to make mustard gas and got it close enough to being right? o_O

I also dug into your story through the alternate news sites. Alex Jones says you're a 37 year old government plant named gary and cenk uygur just keeps screaming, " look it up!" with absolutely zero coherent contexts while foaming at the mouth. :p

cathy newman insists that, "What you are saying is, the chemicals are tied to lobsters." :D

... cathy newman insists that, "What you are saying is, the chemicals are tied to lobsters." :D
Huh??...

WAY too many stupid, stupid (did I say STUPID?) people with access to the net... :arghh:

LMAO

Well the complete story and spot the total idiotic response.
This is via friend who's mum is a nurse at the hospital, and a bit of digging around as it turns out he was known within the chemistry community. Guy late 50's early 60's gets first responders to scene, he was alive but in a bad way and there was a chemical puddle near by. They tried to save the guy for 20 mins before the ambulance turned up, but no luck he died at the scene. So police turn up and the guy is dead and there is a smell of chlorine in the air.

All they saw was chemistry stuff out and books on the table. Chemophobia in the UK is mad, none of this has been cleared up or reported as yet!! So people in the area still think the guy was upto no good. Appalling.
that's really quite sad, since a lot of modern chemistry and physics science comes from your country, both from academic study as well as tinkerers in their basements. just think, if governments had the same policies back then as they do now, the industrial revolution would not have happened.

what was it Mark Twain said? "The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated..."

A renewed interest in fluorophosphonate di-esters has caused a real issue for first responders. I don't blame first responders one bit for being exceptionally cautious.

WAY too many stupid, stupid (did I say STUPID?) people with access to the net... :arghh:

Me or them? :confused:

I watched that Jordan Peterson interview at least 5 times now and have laughed hard every single time! :D

The "Gotcha" heard round the world! :p

For those who have not seen it.

Here in Aus it's just as bad. Yesterday, what appears to be 2 Molotov cocktails were discovered in a box in the front seat of a car. Full evacuation, bomb squad, 3 hours to "dismantle" the bombs. The owners of the car, whilst certainly not innocent have been charged with possession of a liquid explosive!! It appears that owning an oxidiser without a licence is now classed as owning explosives. I'm not sure what they would make of my Condy's crystals (Potassium Permanganate). I got the KMnO4 to titrate some (out of date) Hydrogen Peroxide that I acquired when I bought a hair salon. Just checked and I still have a bottle of H2O2 under the sink and acetone in the cupboard - looks like I inadvertently acquired all the precursors to an easy to make explosive. The world has gone mad.

Mike.

The first responders were at home when they got told about the exclusion, they had left before the cordon and panic.

Mike i talk to several chemists in Aus, extremely dangerous place to do home chemistry and not get busted.

What is sad though is i can take 5V psu add table salt to water and after a few days crystallize and add sugar. BOOM!!

To o it properly i would actually add to other chemicals to the table salt, but you dont have to. Or boil bleach dry then recrystallize and add sugar or an organic solvent. Over reaction by governments without a clue. All my Biology/chemistry and Bio chem is now done under LTD companies, saves all the agro.

Many years ago I made some Lead Nitrate with the intention of making lead dioxide electrodes for perchlorate production. Decided against it as just too risky here.

Interesting path, Calcium Nitrate + Copper Sulphate to precipitate CaSo4. Then displace copper with lead filings.

Interestingly, I can get some very interesting chemicals from local stores - conc H2SO4, HCl, Xylene, very strong Sodium Hyperchlorate solution etc.

Mike.

there's an interesting mixture available here in the USA called "Tannerite". it's ingredients are a nitrate, and aluminum powder. the ingredients are safe enough to be shipped, so people can mail-order it (shipped via UPS). when mixed, it explodes when hit by a rifle bullet (at or above a certain velocity). it's sold as a "reactive" target. i went shooting with family last weekend, and somebody at the other end of the firing line had brought a few bottles of Tannerite with them. that stuff is LOUD! but a lot of fun...

i am not a fan of governments that treat their citizens like kindergarten students (Johnny didn't play nice with his toys, so nobody should have them...).

i am not a fan of governments that treat their citizens like kindergarten students (Johnny didn't play nice with his toys, so nobody should have them...).

Allowing private citizens easy access to chemicals that can easily kill hundreds (if not thousands) of people is not used or stored properly probably isn't a good idea!.

As a chemist doing research at a University my daughter is horrified what the Physics department keep trying to do, ordering dangerous chemicals with no idea of what the dangers are. Luckily her husband works as a technician in the Physics department, so Melissa noticed what they were doing and stopped them. Their response was that it was a solid, so there was no problem, hers was that it was a solid that diffuses into the air and kills anyone nearby, and they had enough to wipe out the entire university and much of the surrounding city! :eek: Their next suggestion was on a similar basis, her reply was that it again diffuses into the air, and the result is phosgene gas! - oops, there goes the city again.

Now these are Professors and Doctors at a decent University, the general public is likely to be even less safe with dangerous materials.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back