Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

infrared emitter and sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlois14

can anyone pls give me a brief but direct description what an IR emitter/sensor is or does? thanks... :)

what specific IR sensor to use for a line tracking device? :D

simple!

hi,
first the best example of an IR emitter / sender is your mouse, or any computer "ball based mouse"(not optical)
you will find inside the mouse 2 pairs of IR emitters and senders

the emmiter is a simple LED (light emitting diode) but that emmits infra red light.

The infra red sensor will varye depending on the mouseit can be a photo resistor (resistance will change is sricked with IR light) or a photo transistor...

i know this might not be very helpfull, but tell me exactly what you dont understand and i'll try to help you more.

Mouse infrared emitters/receivers

I found a circuit on the net how to make an infrared switch controlled via pc's parallel port (an input pin of the parallel port) , unfortunatelly i searched everywhere in my country and i cant find the specific photo transistors used in that circuit(ir emmiter + receiver) . Is there out any other circuit using old mouse emmiters ?

infrared emittors and sensors

IR emmitter/sensor pairs are all aroud you. How about your TV remote? Or the sensor that keeps your garage door opener from closing on you? And on and on.

For experimenting any of the common opto-isolators, (look in your electronics catalog), are fine.
A basic isolator consists of a Gallium Arsenide infrared emitting diode, and a silicon phototransister mounted together in a dip pacage. The pair can be seperated whth a airgap in which case the device is called a photo-interuptor.

If you can forward bias a diode, you can operate an opto-isolater or interupter.

There are several forms of output devices used in isolaters ranging from simple transistors through darlington pairs, scrs and triacs.

help in infra red project

i am enclosing a pic of my project wit circuit diagram which i ordered over the internet
the trnasmitter dont seem to work right
the reciever is working fine
i have teste d it
can anyone offer any help please
i need it urgently:confused: :confused:

An IR emitter is simply an LED that transits light at a spectrum that our eyes can not detect (usually arround 950nm).

An IR Sensor simply detects light arround 950nm.

Most mobile phones have an IR sensitive lense. Get your TV remote (the LED at the front is an IR LED) and push a few buttons while looking at the IR LED through your mobile phone camera and you will see it flash.

n.b ultraviolet is arround 350nm and white light arround 150nm

benpaddlejones

benpaddlejones said:
An IR emitter is simply an LED that transits light at a spectrum that our eyes can not detect (usually arround 950nm).

An IR Sensor simply detects light arround 950nm.

Most mobile phones have an IR sensitive lense. Get your TV remote (the LED at the front is an IR LED) and push a few buttons while looking at the IR LED through your mobile phone camera and you will see it flash.

n.b ultraviolet is arround 350nm and white light arround 150nm

benpaddlejones
hi Ben,
The thread is 2 years old...:)

I think you have made a typo in the white light nMtr...:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back