Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Inductors

Status
Not open for further replies.

windozeuser

How do inductors really work? I know the textbook definition of storing energy in it's magnetic field. That isn't good enough for me.

Plus how can they reject a range of frequencies such as in a radio to tune all but one station.

If you understand the physics of it then you basically understand the filtering capabilities.

Here is how:

If you take an RL circuit for example. Write the KVL and get the differental equation. Either use Laplace or Fourier to solve your differential equation (for voutput/vsource). Once you have this you've seen how they reject some frequencies and pass others. It is all brought together by the v = L*di/dt and the connection to the frequency domain courtesy of Fourier :)

An inductor alone cannot tune to a particular frequency. You need both an inductor and a capacitor. Capacitors store energy in the electric field between their plates.

As your first respondant said, the voltage across an inductor is given by V = L* di/dt where di/dt is the rate of change of the current through the inductor. For a capacitor, it is i = C* dV/dt where dV/dt is the rate of change of the voltage across the capacitor.

If you do the maths, you will find that a parallal LC circuit will resonate at f = 1/ {2*Pi*sqrt(L*C)} where f is the frequency at resonance. At reasonance, the voltage across the circuit is a maximum and this is why it passes that particular frequency and not others.

For a series LC circuit, the current will rise to a maximum at resonance.

Len

Laplace and fourier transforms, yuckkkk. Please don't sware at me ;)

I hated that kind of maths when I was studying Electronics Engineering. I just about managed enough understanding of it to carry me through, but it's definately not easy going.

Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back