Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Inductors in series/parallel to lower resistance

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACharnley

I have a buck application where I'm restricted to an inductor with a max height of 1.2mm, I'm using one of the 2.2uH values in the attached image.

Screenshot_2019-12-02_22-40-23.png

I've managed to squeeze the PCB space to fit in another identical inductor, so have the option to parallel or series a second item.

Two 4.7uH in parallel results in 2.35uH, close enough, but according to the max resistance it's going to be nearly the same as the 2.2uH. Similarly if I series 2 x 1.0uH then max resistance is slightly more than the 2.2uH. In other words there seems to be no benefit?

Can you source a larger one that does give a benefit and still fits?

Mike.

Nope, 1.2mm is absolute max (1.0mm is better).

I'm limited length wise as well to about 4mm (and 8-9mm width hence can fit two).

But anyhow, how come there's no benefit?

Two resistors would lower the ohms, carry more current
Two capacitors would double the capacity or increase the voltage rating
Inductors - seems to make no difference?

How thick is the pcb? You could theoretically make a cutout and embed the inductor partially in the pcb.

But anyhow, how come there's no benefit?

Two resistors would lower the ohms, carry more current
Two capacitors would double the capacity or increase the voltage rating
Inductors - seems to make no difference?

Quite simple - in order to get more inductance in a smaller space you have to use thinner wire - so you can get the same result using thicker wire in a larger space.

Yes, but then the resistance should be lower? (this is my objective).

The performance with the inductor I'm using is fine it's just read an article which said there's roughly a 1% efficiency increase going from 100mOhm to a 50mOhm inductor for the TI chip I'm using.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back