Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Inductor Current Shunt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexsgarage

I am building a power supply and I need to include an overcurrent detector. Peak current through the supply should not exceed 13 amps, I was thinking that I could use a shunt resistor and a comparator on the DC side of things but I dont have any good shunt resistors in that power range. I then thought of using an inductor on the AC side of the supply, an inductor in series with the 120V 60Hz AC input will have a given reactance and may act as a resistor of a given impedance, I was wondering if this will work as an AC current shunt.

Attachments

• Inductor Shunt.jpg
    Inductor Shunt.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 464
Last edited:
Why not use the inductor on the output? You could create a low-pass filter with the output caps to help smooth things out, and also use it as a current sense resistor.

How about a length of iron or nichrome wire as a shunt resistor? Iron has about 50 times the resistance of copper and nichrome has about 600 times the resistance.

I am building a power supply and I need to include an overcurrent detector. Peak current through the supply should not exceed 13 amps, I was thinking that I could use a shunt resistor and a comparator on the DC side of things but I dont have any good shunt resistors in that power range. I then thought of using an inductor on the AC side of the supply, an inductor in series with the 120V 60Hz AC input will have a given reactance and may act as a resistor of a given impedance, I was wondering if this will work as an AC current shunt.

Go with your first idea. You should be able to find a suitable resistor. If not, you can kuludge out together. I don't like the idea of an inductor, either on the input or output sides.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back