Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Inductor and Solar Power

Status
Not open for further replies.

martianman

Hi all,
I'm redoing an entire room in my house and I don't want to use any more power. How can I use inductors/solar power/wind/capacitors/inverters and that shake flashlight idea to make the most efficient way to power this room? I'm not totally in the best spot for sun or wind unfortunately so that's going to be a hindrance. I don't want to use any battery power. I want to use renewable energy that will last, at least in theory, forever. (Or a very long time... whichever). I want to have at least 3-6 wall outlets plus I want to power some very low voltage LED lamps that I'm building. (Around 5 volts) I'd love to hear any suggestions. The best would be if someone could think of a way to combine all these things together... I'd also love some circuit diagrams too if possible.

Thanks in advance,
-Martianman

Does the rest of your house use energy efficient light bulbs?

Yes. But I want to use alternative energy for this room. It's a good project for me. I would eventually like to make the rest of my house use alternative energy. But right now I just want to do it with one room to see how it works out. :)

You have to import energy into the room somehow. Solar and wind are out?

Shake flashlights aren't a great source of electricity, unless you really have stamina. The bigger ones can produce almost a quarter watt once you get them going. Mine uses a NiMH battery to store the power till I need it. Figure 200 shakers to run a small 50 watt television (100 people). Is it a small room?

I've seen bicycles and treadmills hooked up to generators. They claim up to 100 watts if you're iin good shape. But that's hardly enough to supply one outlet, let alone 4 or 5.

You have to import energy into the room somehow. Solar and wind are out?

Shake flashlights aren't a great source of electricity, unless you really have stamina. The bigger ones can produce almost a quarter watt once you get them going. Mine uses a NiMH battery to store the power till I need it. Figure 200 shakers to run a small 50 watt television (100 people). Is it a small room?

I've seen bicycles and treadmills hooked up to generators. They claim up to 100 watts if you're iin good shape. But that's hardly enough to supply one outlet, let alone 4 or 5.

I wasn't thinking people power for the shake flashlight idea. I was thinking more like magnets somehow powering it... though I can't figure out how to do that...

I was thinking more like magnets somehow powering it...
Contrary to what you may have read, magnets are NOT an energy source. A magnet at rest has no power to offer. If you apply WORK to a magnet, then a coil near by can pick up some power. That's why you need to shake the flashlight.

I am aware that magnets are not a source of power. I was thinking of applying some sort of force to two magnets on opposite sides of the magnet in the middle of the coil so the magnets would continuously repel the magnet in the middle thereby forcing it to move back and forth...

As you extract energy from a moving object it will slow down or stop. To keep it moving you must perform work on it.

To keep producing power without doing work on the system is a classical Perpetual Motion machine which has already been invented many times.

I wasn't thinking people power for the shake flashlight idea. I was thinking more like magnets somehow powering it... though I can't figure out how to do that...

I hate to dapen your enthusiasm but what planet did you say you com from again ? you appear to have no technical knowledge and are hoping for a miracle/dream come true !, what exactly are you going to do with inductors ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back