Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Induction Motor Selection

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssylee

I'm suspecting that the fact that the motor of my juicer is turning slower hints that I need a new monitor. After opening the case and taking a look at the motor, it is an induction motor. What are the typical guidelines do you have for selecting an induction motor? I have tried to search for guidelines on google, but I have only managed to find patents on induction motors.

Hi,
I have similar problems with the induction motor from the dryer in my washing machine.
About once a year i have to disassemble the motor, clean off all the dried up grease and dirt, recoat the bearings with a very light coating of high temperature grease and then reassemble, it'll then work work fine for another year.

Unless the windings are clearly burnt there isnt much that can go wrong with an induction motor, try stripping it and giving it a thourough clean.

What kind of coating did you use on the bearings of the motor? Would you recommend cleaning the dried up grease and dirt using a moist cloth?

I rinse the motor parts with isopropyl alchohol to get rid of all the old grease etc. , a moist cloth probably wont get it all out.
The grease i use is just from a pot of high temp grease i got from a car accssesory shop (molybdenum disulphide grease), I use this because my motor runs in a pretty hot environment but you might be able to use some light oil if your motor does'nt normally get to warm.
To much grease/oil is counter productive though, the motor should spin freely, you only need a very light coating. The important bit is getting all the old cr*p out.

Grease/oil

I am having a hard time finding molybdenum disulphide. I'm thinking of replacing it with something more common, like motor oil. How would you suggest applying the grease/oil? Thanks.

Wow, it's over a year later and you still haven't sorted it!

You should use a brush?

I use WD40 to clean things, then apply pump grease.

WD 40 displaces water and is nonconductive. That is what the civilian/military electricians use as a treatment for motors that have been submerged in water. (salt water rinse with fresh water then WD-40.

Note that if you get WD-40 in the bearings, it may desolve/displace grease, which will need replaced.

Mark

It's not over a year later. I just got busy for a few months and never really gotten back to recoating the motor windings. Thank you for the suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back