inductance sizing

Status
Not open for further replies.

HUNstudent

In my homework I have to design (make a complet plan just on paper) an 100 mH inductance. The current is 50 A. (+/-50A). The frequency is 1 KHz. And I have to use hipersil core.

Please help me!

(If somebody answer me, please don't use slang, because I am not perfect in english )

Hi,

See if these spec's might help get you started:

Initial permeability: 1500
Max perm: 35000
Coercivity: 0.1 to 0.3 Oe
Retentivity: 13,700 G
Bmax: 20000 G
Resistivity: 50 uOhm-cm
Curie temp: 750 C

Hi everybody, thanks the answers!

First of all I want to know the principle of the inductance sizing. I think MrAl give a hipresil core's parameters. I think these parameters are good for me, to know how to sizing an inductance.

If the physical size's parameters and the core's shape are missing, I ask you to use whatever core (that you think is good) to show me the sizing.

Last edited:
Hi again,

You mean you want to be able to calculate the inductance of a given construction of metal and wire?
That is, given a core with known spec's and the number of turns of wire you want to calculate the inductance?

Hi,

My exercise: Design an inductance.
data:
I=50 A (effective)
f=1 kHz
L=100 mH
------------------------------------------
core=?
wire=?
size=?

Last edited:
Hi again,

Weren't you given any formulas or theory for designing an inductor carrying a DC current yet?

Hi,

The current is: sinusoid current with an 50A peak.

I solved the first step:
From the strenght of the current, I specify the grossness of the wire. So I will count with an 5mm diameter of the wire.

I can't solve the second step:
Please tell me what type of core should I use? Ferrit or Hipersil? And why?

Can you give me a step by step guide how to design this inductor?

Hello,

I think you should also pay a visit to the Magnetics Inc. web site where they have lots of information on designing inductors for various applications.
You also should state if it is a sine wave or square wave, and if it will be used in a tuned filter or a
power supply filter or whatever it will be used for.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…