Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

inductance sizing

Status
Not open for further replies.

HUNstudent

In my homework I have to design (make a complet plan just on paper) an 100 mH inductance. The current is 50 A. (+/-50A). The frequency is 1 KHz. And I have to use hipersil core.

Please help me!

(If somebody answer me, please don't use slang, because I am not perfect in english :))

Without basic information about the core, there's not much to go on.

Last edited:
Hi,

See if these spec's might help get you started:

Initial permeability: 1500
Max perm: 35000
Coercivity: 0.1 to 0.3 Oe
Retentivity: 13,700 G
Bmax: 20000 G
Resistivity: 50 uOhm-cm
Curie temp: 750 C

Hi everybody, thanks the answers!

First of all I want to know the principle of the inductance sizing. I think MrAl give a hipresil core's parameters. I think these parameters are good for me, to know how to sizing an inductance.

If the physical size's parameters and the core's shape are missing, I ask you to use whatever core (that you think is good) to show me the sizing.

Last edited:
Hi again,

You mean you want to be able to calculate the inductance of a given construction of metal and wire?
That is, given a core with known spec's and the number of turns of wire you want to calculate the inductance?

Hi,

My exercise: Design an inductance.
data:
I=50 A (effective)
f=1 kHz
L=100 mH
------------------------------------------
core=?
wire=?
size=?

Last edited:
Hi again,

Weren't you given any formulas or theory for designing an inductor carrying a DC current yet?

Hi,

The current is: sinusoid current with an 50A peak.

I solved the first step:
From the strenght of the current, I specify the grossness of the wire. So I will count with an 5mm diameter of the wire.

I can't solve the second step:
Please tell me what type of core should I use? Ferrit or Hipersil? And why?

Can you give me a step by step guide how to design this inductor?

Hello,

I think you should also pay a visit to the Magnetics Inc. web site where they have lots of information on designing inductors for various applications.
You also should state if it is a sine wave or square wave, and if it will be used in a tuned filter or a
power supply filter or whatever it will be used for.

Last edited:
A 100mH coil with a current rating of 50mH is going to be huge, the energy stored is 125 Joules.

A 100mH coil with a current rating of 50mH is going to be huge, the energy stored is 125 Joules.

Hi,

Did you mean a current rating of 50 amps?

Yes, lol, I mean a 100mH coil with a current rating of 50A will be huge.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back