Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Indoor electric vehicle motor size? AND relay help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mishael

I have a small electric car im building to get me around my high school during our drama season when i run around a lot. it would only ever carry about 250 lbs max including its own weight. I dont know how big of a motor to get, nor do i know where to get the aforementioned motor. i dont want it to go too fast (10~20 mph max) some help with this would be nice.

ALSO id like to make a key switch for it but i dont know how i would make the key switch to work considering the amp ratings on them are generally low so that would mean i would need a relay, no...?

Look at the motors they use on mobility scooters for the handicapped. My mother used one late in life, and it had two ~1/3HP motors, one on each rear wheel. At that, it only moved at about a fast walking speed.

I'm using a single 1/4HP Gear Motor to move a 2800 lb airplane at about 1.0ft/sec.

so your plane goes ~36 mph? wow so if i used a half horse or lower i should get what im wanting?

1ft/sec is 0.6818mi/hr

Also look at the motors and control unit they use for those two-wheeled electric powered scooters.

I think your school is going to be much more pronounced factor in this design. I rather doubt you will ever be allowed to ripping through the halls at 10 - 20 MPH on a motorized anything.

Your best bet would be get more exercise, plan your time more efficiently, or come up with a very good cover story for using a electric wheel chair if your just that lazy.

OK, this can be simple. Just go here. That is your starting point. Now, just click a Build It Now button and you are almost done. Maybe they will sell you a motor? Just be real careful and avoid cliffs and classmates in your path.

Ron

I don't think you realize how fast 20mph actually is.

For a reference, average walking speed for a young adult is about 3 mph while average sprinting speed for a (non-athlete) young adult is about 8-10 mph.
Aim for 10 mph max.

You'd be better off getting an electric scooter or a normal scooter and converting it to electric power.

i do understand how fast it is. i dont plan to take it that fast in my school but this is also for outdoor use. i have already gotten it approved to be built. i can sprint between 12 and 13 so i do understand how fast that is. i plan to use relative amp readings to determine speed. this is not to be used during school anyway. the whole reason im doing this is because i do drama in my high school and i have to move a lot of stuff thats quite large, plus i have to go from one end of our school to the other frequently because of some GENIUS architects putting the circuit breakers on the opposite side of the building in relation to what those breakers, break.

Here's a **broken link removed** on the Allelectronics website.

Here's a motor speed controller on the Allelectronics website.
You would need all kinds of extra stuff to make that work.
Mishael; Can you explane what kind of car you are making? Do you have a fraim already? Converting an existing car? Andy

Instead of a car, why not a stand-up scooter? Kind of like a Segway, but with out the self balancing feature. I have a design I could sketch up for you if you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back