Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Increasing the range of a 2 way radio?

Status
Not open for further replies.

polishdude20

so hows it done? i have a 2 way GMRS radio (walkie talkie) and i want to increase the range? also if there is a coil in it can i technically change it to play on fm radio frequencies?

lastly what are some cool ways to modify a 2 way radio?

you can generally tweak the tuning coil of a radio to receive frequencies that are close by to the original tuning range . for example, stretching out the coil of a broadcast band fm radio to receive the civil aircraft band 118mhz above,though the former is fm and the latter transmissions are AM,you can still here the transmissions.
but the GMRS radio like you have works on the UHF band that is 450-470mhz

so practically there is no way to tweak it to receive the fm broadcast band.
for increasing the range all you have to do is make an rf power amp and fix a relay to trigger it on when ur walkie talkie is transmitting.

cheers

so hows it done?
There are three common ways:
Increase the transmitter power
Increase the receiver sensitivity
Increase the antenna gain

i have a 2 way GMRS radio (walkie talkie) and i want to increase the range?
The only easy way would be to fit a larger antenna with higher gain.
Does the radio have a removable antenna? If not I think you are stuck.

also if there is a coil in it can i technically change it to play on fm radio frequencies?
Your GMRS radio will have a synthesiser to determine the operating frequency. Changing the frequency form 450Mhz (ish) to 100 Mhz is not a practical proposition.

lastly what are some cool ways to modify a 2 way radio?
I guess it all depends on what you mean by "cool".
Working outside in the snow and ice in the middle of winter would be cool.

JimB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back