Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Inches and feet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mixed in amongst that lot, seemingly dependant on age, are Whitworth, Metric, AF, UNC, UNF & BA threads .. .. it makes for a good sized spanner box !
Can you still get the 'fit all' hex socket, it was filled with small pins / rods . that would telescope / retract around the nut / head .

Can you still get the 'fit all' hex socket, it was filled with small pins / rods . that would telescope / retract around the nut / head .

LOL .. .. that would be one hell of a socket ! From memory the largest is 40 something mm, the smallest, 2BA, I think .

S

Well, disk drives (the 5-1/4" floppies) from yesteryear had both threads.

Car fuel line (recent issue 2000 GM Vehicle): 5/8" the nut on the fuel line. 20 mm, the nut on the filter. The aftermarket replacement had a 19 mm nut. The 20 mm Flare nut wrench was like 4x more expensive than a 19 mm

Back in the 80's I used en end-mounted socket drive for my oil filter. I bought a Beck-Arnly replacement filter and it needed an English wrench.

The 1974 Pinto had a mix of fasteners. Most engine was metric, most body was english.

I bought some shaft collars for an English shaft, they had metric screws.

There is copper tubing and copper refrigeration tubing. A 7/8" copper fitting bought in an HVAC supply place is a standard 3/4 plumbing fitting. Pipe and tubing is just nuts.

Bristol set screws. Knobs on Electronic instruments. Those are really nice.

Lumber - you have dimensional lumber and the stuff like a 2x4 which is raw.

Just recently I had to add a significant amount of Torx to my collection. I need to pull a steering wheel.

Just recently bought a heat gun. A cream of the crop variety. Steinel. First, some attachemnts use Posidrive screws to hold the attachments and others use a flat/Phillips combo head. In this case the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing. They appeared to upgrade the thickness of the material to 1.4mm holding the insert nut compared to other attachments using the same nut.

Machining by hand (switchable readout) metric dimensions with English cutters is a real pain. I really don't mind 0.001" of an inch increments.

In the states we had a new road that was exclusively metric signage. It didn't last long.

Feet is nice because you can estimate by walking. A shoe-length is about a foot. An inch is about your knuckle to the end of your thumb. A cup is about a "cup" of coffee.

But 1/8, 1/16. 1/32. 1/64, 1/128, 1/50, 1/100 of an inch?
I didn't know this until I sent it back because the nut was lost. One tiny tap and the nut disengages and I could not find one for 1.4 mm thick material.

Pipe and tubing is just nuts.

You can say that again. And inch-sized pipe/tubing sizes seem to pop up in certain countries around the globe as preferred dimensions. Weird.

I got a useful tip from a model engineer I worked with about 40 years ago. He was scaling steam engine drawing which were all in imperial measurements to metric and rounding was a real problem. He told me that if instead of 2.54mm to the inch, you use 2.56 then there is no rounding because all those fractions now convert without any rounding being needed. Good old whole binary numbers.:)

Mike.

An alternative is sockets that have sort of square-edged teeth inside, so that a socket will fit either SAE or metric nuts or anything close to that size and even square nuts. Lowe's has these and I have a set that's gotten a good workout – no problems with slipping or rounding.

20200203_115640_copy_1024x1171.jpg
20200203_115702_copy_1024x751.jpg

You can say that again. And inch-sized pipe/tubing sizes seem to pop up in certain countries around the globe as preferred dimensions. Weird.

It's weird being versed in many disciplines like the blk (HOT), red negative and such. lately, I've been dealing with medical stuff and you have "bandage" dimensions.

Umm, I guess I missed the OP's question.

How to fast convert inches to feet?

It depends, dividing by 12 really depends on how your inches are represented.
Were "inches" represented as a voltage, proportional to a time delay pulse, a binary value, a bcd values, decade counter values, something else?

BTW find intriguing if not funny or ridiculous Google, amongst their invasive "news" telling me that tomorrow, temperature here will be 68.
Nobody has the feeling of Farenheit temperatures down here.

When discharging vessels proceeding from USA, packing lists expressed the weight in pounds. Told people to get used to divide by 2 (while staying in the safe side) to get Kg.

If anyone says I am 6f 3, I have no idea how tall he could be.

If anyone says I am 6f 3, I have no idea how tall he could be.
If true, it would be about the distance from your heels to the top of your head.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back