Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Inches and feet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quite right!
( and you should see him munch his way through a bale of hay!)

JimB

18.75 Hands, Simples !!

Gracias.jpg

Thanks for the reference!!

I still recall the shocking experience when dealing with the UK currency, my first day ashore in Portsmouth, year 1969!

When loading bulk carriers, when you need to "trim" the vessel, you calculate and tell to shore people, the last tonnes of cargo to be dropped in, usually two specific holds, to ensure a proper trim / sailing draft. Experienced Chief Officers used to have them expressed in metric, long and short tons, just in case.

Loading chromite in Richards Bay, the Supervisor (obviously not a very experienced guy) came on board to see how much I needed to complete the loading. When he saw the quantities in tons he asked them expressed in "scoops".

It took me probably half an hour to learn that "scoop" was not an obscure international unit but the name of an internal thing in the plant used to fill the rail cars coming alongside. Praying for the best, had to calculate backwards based on what he knew of that business to estimate my trim in scoops. Nowadays, I forgot already how many tons it was; sorry.

I been watching a YTube saw mill guy in Tennessee , Saw mill people seem to have their own measurement system for timber , "Five Quarters " i guess is 1 1/4 " "Four by Eight " , One inch by two .?..

I been watching a YTube saw mill guy in Tennessee , Saw mill people seem to have their own measurement system for timber , "Five Quarters " i guess is 1 1/4 " "Four by Eight " , One inch by two .?..
five-quarters (of an inch) is a rough-cut measure that is used when the finished thickness, after surfacing, must be 1". lumber is typically sold by the board-foot (144 cubic inches) and measured as rough cut dimensions.

Now there's an Eco Warriors Dream .. .. .. A Ferrari that runs on hay ! WOW !!

MM
There's a sports car enthusiasts nightmare, a Ferrari that's 18.75 hands high. Wow

There's a UK TV series called 'Vintage Voltage' where they convert older cars (and a motorbike) to electric vehicles - on one they converted a Ferrari.

The resultant electric version was faster, accelerated better, and handled better as well - pretty impressive to improve a Ferrari.

There's a UK TV series called 'Vintage Voltage' where they convert older cars (and a motorbike) to electric vehicles - on one they converted a Ferrari.

The resultant electric version was faster, accelerated better, and handled better as well - pretty impressive to improve a Ferrari.
As with all electrics. You get maximum torque at zero rpm, vs an ICE, where Max torque takes fairly high rpm. That's why Tesla's dominate local drag strips. Even inexperienced racers easily beat drivers with 700+HP hellcats (the hellcats are no where near 700HP off the starting line).

Perhaps nobody noticed this thread is almost a year old? It was resurrected by a spammer, who was subsequently deleted.

The English pint is a pound and a quarter, the US, just a pound. No idea where they came from but know the difference. So US gallon is 20% smaller than a UK gallon. Imperial sucks, even though you yanks won't call it imperial anymore!!!

Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back