Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

In terms of PCB, what is meaning of PTH and non-PTH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I went to PCB manufacturer for my double sided PCB.

He asked me whether I want it PTH and non-PTH.

I wanted to know the meaning of PTH boards.

Does it make any difference in terms of soldering or assembling the components.

Please guide me....

hi,
PTH means plated thru holes, the track on opposite faces of the PCB are connected by copper track,
For non PTH, you have to use wire link thru's

Hole with metal can be connected up and down both sides, called the PTH.

If you don't need the hole to connect the sides, better don't set it as a PTH, this will save material and process.

Most (low cost at least) fab houses make holes plated unless directed otherwise (and sometimes at extra cost for non-plated holes). The plating in the hole depends on the copper layers on each side to anchor it in place, particularly during the fabrication process. If a hole is plated without a pad on each side, the plating can come loose during processing and end up shorting tracks together on the finished board.

Holes are plated to make a connection between the copper layers and to allow a better solder connection to be made.

Where would you want non-plated holes? Board mounting holes might be non-plated, as might mounting holes for switches.

Board fab houses may want a Gerber layer called NPTH to identify non-plated holes. These holes are physically plugged when holes are plated. It's an extra step in the boards making process.

Oops, sorry. BrightPCB seems to be looking for places to post....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back