Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

In Need Of A Microcontroller Project!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaaaye

Help.

I need some suggestions of what microcontroller based project to make that is related to disaster protection or a project that would prevent disaster. Either be it with the use of a PIC16F84A or PIC16f877A.

Thank you.

Pardon my english.

MicroContoller project = no disaster

I also need a Micro Controller Project (for money) to relieve a potential disaster for me. LOL!

I have friends that live near a river in the mountains. The water is very fast. When there is a flood people die. Make a project that detects too much water in the river with a simple switch and float. Use a modem to call the people down stream and make a siren sound over the phone.

high quality smoke detectors use led's and phototransistors/photodiodes to detect how how much smoke is in the air. If its a critical amount of smoke, less light passes between the transmitter and detector, the alarm goes off. Using sleep timers to check for a split second every minute should let it last for months on 3 AA's.

The PIC16F84A is a dinosaur. I would rule that one out right from the start.

The 877A is relatively new, widely available, and quite capable of the task, but what kind of disaster protection did you have in mind?

Floods, earthquakes, landslides, mudslides, tsunami, alien invasion, rabid mother-in-laws, etc, etc,.

There are a wide variety of sensors to interface to most any microcontroller, but disaster protection covers a pretty wide scope.

A 16F877 could interface to a boat-load of various sensors, and provide one heck of a nice detection/notification system, but a clear definition of the variables to monitor would help.

Nigel has one of the best PIC getting started tutorial pages I've seen in a long time at: if you're just getting started.

If you know precisely what kind of sensors you will need to monitor, and have some idea of the emergency notification hardware a system like this may require, post it here. I doub't it will be long before you have more solutions/ideas than you have time to build..;o}

This is one of the best web forums I've seen, with enough energy & talent to go through somthing like this in a heart-beat, but you'll need to clearly define each step.

breyno2 said:
The 877A is relatively new, widely available, and quite capable of the task, but what kind of disaster protection did you have in mind?

877A is on its way out too. I think it is being replaced with the 887.

well...

well..

you need a project on disaster protection...

make a simple radar.. that detects if any aeroplane or anything is coming or not..

the radar is rotated by a stepper motor..

for sensing aeroplane .. it uses .. infrared proximity detector..

Regards,

Simran..:)

Up!

Thanks for the reply everyone. Err, I forgot to add something with regards to the project, it also should be related with the use of SMS.

Regarding the kind of disaster protection .. Choices are: Floods, fire or earthquakes.

Thanks in advance for the replies.

Cheers!

Have an accelerometer array surrounding the protected site in a 20 kM circle (6 units might be enough for a demonstration). Each accelerometer will detect if an earthquake is happening. The attached microprocessor uses the interface to a cell phone to send an SMS message (hopefully while the power is still on) to the protected site. This gives the protected site several milliseconds to prepare for the coming earthquake.

kaaaye said:
Thanks for the reply everyone. Err, I forgot to add something with regards to the project, it also should be related with the use of SMS.

Regarding the kind of disaster protection .. Choices are: Floods, fire or earthquakes.

Thanks in advance for the replies.

Cheers!

I'd imagine floods and earthquakes would be the most difficult and impractical, as there is very little fore warning. In at risk areas, there is some normal level of activity, how to determine a potentially disasterous level in time to be of any use...

Fire would be the simplest, just interface your cell phone to a smoke detector through a microcontroller. I've seen several SMS/microcontroller projects on the web, so that part shouldn't be too tough to get going. Solder a couple of wires to the smoke detector sounder, a resister, and you have your input...

I don't use cell phones (tools of the devil :) ), so no real interest in how they work, or what you can do with them. Although, I did see some for $1.00 surplus, I was curious about the graphics LCD...

simrantogether said:
well..

you need a project on disaster protection...

make a simple radar.. that detects if any aeroplane or anything is coming or not..

the radar is rotated by a stepper motor..

for sensing aeroplane .. it uses .. infrared proximity detector..

Regards,

Simran..:)

Hi,
can you elaborate this ? I like your idea:)

HarveyH42 said:
I'd imagine floods and earthquakes would be the most difficult and impractical, as there is very little fore warning. In at risk areas, there is some normal level of activity, how to determine a potentially disasterous level in time to be of any use...

Fire would be the simplest, just interface your cell phone to a smoke detector through a microcontroller. I've seen several SMS/microcontroller projects on the web, so that part shouldn't be too tough to get going. Solder a couple of wires to the smoke detector sounder, a resister, and you have your input...

I don't use cell phones (tools of the devil :) ), so no real interest in how they work, or what you can do with them. Although, I did see some for $1.00 surplus, I was curious about the graphics LCD...

Hi, can you link me to some SMS/microcontroller project?
Thanks

This link is to the search results on Hack-A-Day, and list quite a few for SMS...

https://www.hackaday.com/search/?q=SMS

This was just the last place I remembered seeing one, but there a lot of sites on the web, not really something I have an interest in, I just take a quick look at the entire site when I visit. Never know if there might be something I need later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back