Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

improve voltage/current of a square wave signal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daring

hi,

If i have a square wave signal (10->100hz) from a signal generating source,
is there a simple way to improve the Power of it (Voltage and/or current) with an external circuit?

something like :
starting from a signal like : 0 -> 5v or -2v -> 2v and with simple, easy to find, not too expensise comps
boost the amplitude to 0->10v or -5 -> -5v (which will probably be depending on your external power supply)
but also allow more current to be drained (instead of lets say 20mA 100mA or even more)

i have some transformers from electrical devices that may work as a power source (DC 12V/1A)

its been a while for me and electronics but i think an opamp may do the voltage boost first followed by some current boost circuit.

any suggestions are appreciated.

hi,

If i have a square wave signal (10->100hz) from a signal generating source,
is there a simple way to improve the Power of it (Voltage and/or current) with an external circuit?

something like :
starting from a signal like : 0 -> 5v or -2v -> 2v and with simple, easy to find, not too expensise comps
boost the amplitude to 0->10v or -5 -> -5v (which will probably be depending on your external power supply)
but also allow more current to be drained (instead of lets say 20mA 100mA or even more)

i have some transformers from electrical devices that may work as a power source (DC 12V/1A)

its been a while for me and electronics but i think an opamp may do the voltage boost first followed by some current boost circuit.

any suggestions are appreciated.

Hi Daring,

Off the top of my head:
(1) 0V to 10V at 20mA would be fairly easy (15V @ 500mA power supply required)
(2) 0V to 10V at 100mA would be relatively straight forward (15V at 1A power supply required
(3) -5V to +5V at 20mA not too bad (+12V at 500mA and -12V at 500mA power supplies required)
(4) -5V to +5V at 100mA more difficult (+12V at 1A and -12V at 1A power supplies required)
(5) You have not asked this but, -10 to +10 at 100mA, doable (+15V at 1A and -15V at 1A power suppies required)

To give you an idea of costs, take option (5) above:
(1) 15V at 1A power supply x2: $20US total
(2) Case and mechanical parts: $20US
(3) Electronic parts: $20US

spec

Last edited:
I used the LT1010 in the topology (trapezoidal waves) used in "Isolating Capacitive Loads". The OP-amp choice isn't critical. The circuit described is Unity gain.

You would likely need dual supplies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back