Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I'm new

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahelg

Hello. I am 14. I just did electronics at school (we did not do much else but read) and I have become quite interested in the subject. I was wondering what web sites you could recomend and what kind of stuff I should buy. Wires, books and so on.

We did some things at school. Like measuring the amp in a batteri and putting together some wires and bulbs and so on.

Download the ebook at...

**broken link removed**

and read it. Go through the experiments.

If you don't understand anything then leave it for a few hours then re-read it. If you still find it difficult then come and ask for guidance.

We all have to learn.

The way I got started in electronics, was by reading my dad's 20-year-old electronics magazines (That was 15 years ago - I still have the magazines). I saw some projects in there, that I thought might be interesting to make, so I hassled my dad to help me, and we rummaged through his junk box, to find the components I needed.

The best way to learn, is through experimentation - building circuits, blowing things up (accidentally, of course), and also to have a mentor - I had my dad for a mentor - any questions I had, he would answer. Now, I find myself answering his questions.

If you want projects to do, you might find a circuit encyclopaedia at your local library (around about Dewey No. 621). Flip through it in your own time, and start with something fairly simple, then work your way up once you are more confident.

And of course, don't be afraid to post on this board! :D There are many people here who are happy to help out.

What a warm welcome :). I would like to wirering and things like that. Did some at school where we made light bulps go on and of with switches and batteries. Combining batteries to see what would happen. Making electricity go through watter by using salt. Then we used small devices (don't know what they are kalled in English) for mesuring Volt, Amp and resistence.

I actualy had a test about it today.

Also what is a multimeter?

A multimeter is a meter that can measure the amount of multi-ple things. That is, it can measure voltage, current, and ohms. Some can measure more things.

Also what is a multimeter?

A multimeter is a meter which can measure various different quantities (instead of having separate meters for everything).

Most multimeters will measure voltage, current (Amps) and resistance (ohms). More expensive multimeters will also measure capacitance (Farads), frequency (Hertz), Inductance (Henrys), and even temperature!

There are basically 2 types: Analog, and Digital. Both have advantages and disadvantages. Analog types are cheaper, and have quick response times, but are difficult to read accurately. Digital types are easier to read, but are usually slower, and more expensive. Some digital meters can be interfaced to a computer (via a parallel or serial port), to enable data logging.

Tis a bit like buying a car........Want a rolls royce? then pay r-r money....

Seriously tho' I'd go for a cheap digital multimeter......with the following spec:
ACvolts up to 600v( maybe split 200 then 600)

DC Volts 200mv up to 600v

Ohms range is definitely a need....... up to about 2000Mohm

A diode test facility is nice but not essential..you wont use this until you are conversant with the other ranges...

Ask at your local electronics shop if not sure..........or if you see one you like ask on here for opinions :lol: if your pockets can stand it (the price of the meter that is......advice is free 8) )

I liked Chippie's example. If you are learning to drive and are only going to the corner store, the Rolls is probably not the best choice. I have seen digital multimeters from $5 up. I would expect to pay about $20 for a fairly good one that will serve you for years.

For electronics, this is your number one tool - sort of like the carpenter's hammer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back