Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ignition coil tester/driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Topgearx

I am looking for info on a ignition coil tester schematic.

Some parts include, large capicitor(from garage door opener),automotive condensor, 5 contact automotive relay(Bosch #0 332 014 150 ?) and two spark plugs.

There are spark plugs inside the coil, that's very odd. And what's a garage door capacitor doing inside the coil tester? Can you post a photo?
A ohmmeter can test a coil. But it sounds like you have a fancy electronic one.

edit:
Ahh my mistake; you want to fix an existing ignition coil testing machine... Not an build an ignition coil tester.

Well you'll need to provide much more info, model#, a photo would be a big help.

Last edited:
There are no coils in the schematic other than in the relay.This thing dynamicaly tests automotive coils with a 12v battery. I think it works like a CDI.

Topgearx said:
There are no coils in the schematic other than in the relay.This thing dynamicaly tests automotive coils with a 12v battery. I think it works like a CDI.

Still tells us nothing about it. Are you fixing a coil tester, it must have a brand or model #. If you don't have the schematic how do you know the schematic contains a relay?

Topgearx said:
I am trying to make it. I once possesed the schematic but have lost it.

OK, let's try to clarify here: you once had a schematic for a coil tester, bought the parts listed, then lost the schematic and now want to find out how to put the parts together?

More information! Write a couple of paragraphs on what exactly you want to do, what got you to this point, and why you think the parts you have are the ones for the job.

Not criticizing, but you haven't really explained what's going on here--just outlines, and nobody here is psychic (although some of these guys are pretty damned sharp).

Torben

Last edited:
I had the schematic, started gathering up the parts,then i lost the diagram, it seemed vague anyway. It consists of a big capicitor,22mf 600v mabey(dont know where i got that value)if that sounds like one that would be in a garadge door opener or from a large airconditioning unit, mabey for capicitor start motor.An automotive relay with five contacts(not shure if they are all used),a automotive capicitor(mabey for absorbing the spark from inside relay when it switches to break the primary circut in the coil and it had two spark plugs. There were four wires coming out of it with alligator clips on them two went to a 12v battery and the other two went to the primary coil leads, may be used for a single or double high tenson leaded coil. You isolate the coil for testing. For a single high tenson leaded coil you connect the tester to the battery then connect one of the other two tester leads to the primary coil contact and connect the high tenson lead from the coil to one of the spark plugs that are mounted on the tester with a window to view the spark. The battery charges the coil or the big capicitor or both. Then the relay switches somehow breaking the primary circut and sparking the plug then I think it repeats.

Sorry about the double post i don't mean to be so confused.

Last edited:
Look here: **broken link removed**
Its not the same as yours , but I built and it works good, and the output is adjustable. Its by one of the guys that posts here alot.
sam

Last edited:
The plans came out of a Kawasaki Technical Training manual. Troubleshooting Kawasaki Ignition Systems Video Guide section.

Hi,

I found that relays did not seem to me to stand up to running the
primary on an ignition coil.
I ended up making an assembly using an old set of points and an oval
cam driven by a small electric motor.
This gave me the proper mark-to-space ratio over a wide speed range.
Very simple to construct and build.

Soon as i find it, i will post a pic.
I dont remember where it is,
so i will have to poke around til i find it, or get fed up and give up.

John :)

john1 said:
Hi,

I found that relays did not seem to me to stand up to running the
primary on an ignition coil.
I ended up making an assembly using an old set of points and an oval
cam driven by a small electric motor.
This gave me the proper mark-to-space ratio over a wide speed range.
Very simple to construct and build.

Soon as i find it, i will post a pic.
I dont remember where it is,
so i will have to poke around til i find it, or get fed up and give up.

hi John,

Asking just in case, do you have the standard car ballast resistor between the +12V and the coil??
Also the 2uF capacitor, across the relay contacts is important

Without it relays don't last long, have been running a unit with 10A relays for over 2 years.

Hi Eric,

It was thrown together in a hurry,
to help start a very recalcitrant engine.
No ballast.

I completely forgot about the cap,
that might be why it was not very successful.

I have since found that latter-day electronic ignition systems use a
similar system of multiple sparking on the half-cycle after TDC when
cranking to start.
They seem to have better luck than i did.

I dont know how well ten amp relay contacts would stand up to bursts
of sparking at a fairly rapid rate, applied during the interval that
the points are open.
Maybe the ones i tried were just not up to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back