Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

IGBTs, inrush or transent current/time curves compared to continuous??

Status
Not open for further replies.

fastline

Using a motor load as an example, it seems IGBTs all obviously have a continuous current rating but with nearly any new load introduced while an IGBT is running, there would be an inrush of current. I cannot find any mfg that produces a time/current graph to show the power handling. OR, possibly the continuous rating is absolute max BUT as I understand it, IGBTs are well known for handling inrush well so I have to think there is some extra head room in there.

There is no head room above the Absolute Maximum Ratings. The inrush should never exceed the Maximum Collector Current rating for the device. The time that it can handle the inrush is typically determined by the time it takes to meet the Maximum Junction Temperature, which you have to calculate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back