Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

If you could pick one electronic component...

Status
Not open for further replies.

billybob

If you could choose one electronic part whether that be a specific transistor, diode, or LEDs that you think would be most helpful and you use the most in the pursuit of Making homemade circuits and DIY stuff what would it be? Just curious what You guys choose. Can be AnYthIng.

Time to waste answering this.

Depending on whether you tend toward an analog or digital approach to problem (circuit) solving, either the LM358 or the CD4093. But no matter what I do, one part is almost always in there somewhere:

2N4401

ak

Note: No, not the 555.

Last edited:
Probably a voltage regulator; LM7805, 7812, or LT1086CT etc. (Or a switching reg).
That's probably the most common of the basic parts of just about any analog or digital circuit i build.

If you think way, way, WAY back, you were young once and just starting out in electronics. Having fun discovering and learning new things. How about not discouraging somebody who is just getting started?

So useful as making a choice between screws, nuts, washers, rivets, tacks and nails.
Done here.

Time to waste answering this.
How about not discouraging somebody who is just getting started?

I tend to agree with ATF, because the question as asked is too simplistic.

One specific component on its own will not get you very far.
One could answer that some form of microcontroller, such as a PIC, is a good "go to" component being very versatile with a wide range of applications.
But how to use it in practice?
It is usually good to have some kind of voltage regulation on the supply.
Some capacitors will be needed to de-couple noise from the supply.
Resistors and transistors will be needed to make interfaces to the outside world.

Which is why I say that the question, as asked, is too simplistic and a one word answer is meaningless.

JimB

I understand and admit it was a dumb question, I just thought like asking it because like rjenkinsgb said, I am a beginner and I can recall using 13007 transistors and fly back transformers very frequently (being my favorate). Thank you all for the input and hope you leave this question and move on to more important ones. Have a great day yall.

Last edited:
If the goal is to learn basic electronic, I'd think a better starting point would be to pick some few components at first to focus and learn about (apply ohma law etc). So when you're familiar to resistors, diodes bjt's and capacitors, then move to jfet's, opamps, digital circuits, etc. . .

The 555 timer chip might be an interesting beast. From simple LED flashers and siren sound effect generators to more complex applications, hundreds of applications can be found on the web.

This chip was developed in 1971 and was an instant hit. Sales to this day continue strong, with over a billion sold per year. Not bad for a FIFTY year old design.

Yes! I completely forgot about that! I’m going to buy a few right now. Also is Lm317 equivalent to Lm7805

Yes! I completely forgot about that! I’m going to buy a few right now. Also is Lm317 equivalent to Lm7805
It can be with extra parts. The devices in the 78xx line (7805, 7812, etc.) are fixed-output regulators. In their standard application, the output is not adjustable. The LM317 is an adjustable-output regulator. With two resistors it can be configured to be any output voltage withing its range. The equation is in the datasheet.

ak

Last edited:
A 1N34 germanium diode was the key part of a little crystal radio I built myself with a spool of wire, a toilet paper tube as a bobbin snd an old-school mono earphone when I was in elementary school. It was magical for a week or two. I never made another one and I never needed a germanium diode again.

Last edited:
Its not a bad question , and thinking about it , perhaps glad I'm not starting out with the hobby now, The 8255 PPI was a fave device for many years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back