Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

IDS Vs VGS

Status
Not open for further replies.

EngIntoHW

I'm reading an article on MOSFET based amplifiers and saw the next figure:

class-a-jpg.59178

I think this figure is incorrect as you can't draw IDS without knowing both VGS and VDS.
Moreover, IDS is always dependant on VGS, so it doesn’t remain constant as VGS goes up.

Attachments

• Class-A.jpg
    Class-A.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 832
It's not incorrect: it's merely showing you the curve for one particular (unspecified) value of Vds. You'd get similar shaped curves (albeit with different slopes and plateaux) for other values of Vds.
Moreover, IDS is always dependant on VGS, so it doesn’t remain constant as VGS goes up.
Not so. The curve shows that Ids increases with Vgs up to a certain point. Beyond that point there's a plateau, where Ids is almost constant as Vgs increases.

Thank you.

Isn't it different than the MOSFET theory we learned?
In both Linear and Saturation equations of IDS, it is dependant on VGS.

In both Linear and Saturation equations of IDS, it is dependant on VGS.
Yes, even in the plateau region there will be a Vgs dependence; but very small compared to the initial part of the curve.

Is it being taught in college?
I've no idea. I graduated from college about half a century ago!

I don't see anything wrong with the device curve (Ids vs Vgs), but the "load line" doesn't make sense. Class A operation does require biasing somewhere near the middle of the curve, but I don't know what the straight line represents.

Attachments

• Ids vs Vgs.PNG
    Ids vs Vgs.PNG
    6.4 KB · Views: 157
Thank you very much Alec and Ron.

Ron,
Thanks for the simulation.
I guess that the straight line was an approximation.

BTW, which simulation tool did you use?

hi,
I was looking at this LTS Sim yesterday for another OP,, posted for reference.:D

Attachments

• AAesp01.gif
    AAesp01.gif
    31.7 KB · Views: 161
that looks more like an Ids vs. Vds curve, at one particular value of Vgs

(NOT Ids vs. Vgs at one value of Vds)

and yes it is taught in colleges...it is taught in every basic electronics course

that looks more like an Ids vs. Vds curve, at one particular value of Vgs

(NOT Ids vs. Vgs at one value of Vds)

and yes it is taught in colleges...it is taught in every basic electronics course
I think you're wrong. Ids vs Vds with fixed Vgs does not have a threshold voltage. Look at the curve I posted in post #7. It looks like that.

Attachments

• Ids vs Vgs.PNG
    Ids vs Vgs.PNG
    6.4 KB · Views: 140
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back