Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Identify unknown component.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exo

Hello,

I've been working on a broken PC power supply and i've found a strange component wich i've never seen before.
It looks like a regular diode, but i don't think it is. It's marked 'B1' while all the diodes on the rest of the board are marked 'D'.

It sits in series with the incoming AC and the bridge rectifier - so basically, all the current going to the power supply has to pass trough it. Every time i plug the power cord in this part lights up for a second asif arcing inside. I do measure 340Volts on the main capacitor - so i don't think this part is the problem but i would like to know what it is.

It's the red circled component on the top. Click the picture for a larger one.
**broken link removed**

Thanks.

Presumably some kind of spike suppressor?.

However, if you've got 340V on the cap, then that's not the fault anyway.

A very common cause is the startup resistor going O/C, this provides a temporary supply for the chip until the PSU starts running and feeds itself. When the resistor fails, the PSU won't start.

I think from where it is it is an inrush current limiter, but it does seem small for the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back