Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Identify this port

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy_B

Can anyone identify this port, i want to buy a male connector so i can wire a video out lead. Unfortunately the original cable is now discontinued.

Thanks

Andy

Attachments

• thermal eye.jpg
    thermal eye.jpg
    319.7 KB · Views: 240
It's either a 4 pin Firewire port or one of the early mini USB styles, before small USB connectors were properly standardised.
A lot of digital cameras used oddball maker-specific ones to start with...

Compare it to the small connector on the red cable in this page:

What make and model is the device?

Hi thanks for your quick reply, the model camera is: Thermal Eye x200xp. the info you gave me looks promising. Ive included a picture of the cable that i found online this is the only visual i could find.

Attachments

• 15039474.jpg
    15039474.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 223
OK, I've found the user manual for it - here: http://www.x20.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/x200-manual.pdf

According to that, it seems the connector may be similar to ones used for other purposes but the wiring is proprietary to that specific camera.

Some of the photos I can find of that unit appear to have a round video connector, which looks like a mini jack?
There could be two versions with different options fitted - eg. a digital port rather than analog? Or they changed to a less common style to prevent people plugging in other types of 3.5mm cables.

This has got some good photos showing the round port version and a video cable with a round pin plug..

Unfortunately I can't make out any real detail of the connectors on the cable in your photo.

I used to have the predecessor version of the camera that used 3.5mm jack and worked fine for me, but this new connector has stumped me

It could be!
The harder part will be figuring out how they use the pins; it won't literally be USB if the original cable just had composite video out.

It may just have ground and video, or it may need pins linking to switch the electronics from internal to external display mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back