Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

identify tablet (power/volume) switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeci

hello, i need to identify a tablet (fusion5 tablet) power and volume switch but am no expert. i think its called a membrane switch but still I'm having problems on how and where i can find a replacement part.

hopefully its a general component

any help would be greatly appreciated and will gladly send you a payment on paypal for any help

with this post one can find a photo of it

thanks

Attachments

• switch.gif
    switch.gif
    302.9 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
Welcome to ETO

Does the switch work but the attached ribbon is broken?

thanks for the fast reply :) yes the ribbon is broken(therefore it does not work) and that's why i need a replacement. thanks

Wonder if it would be easier to replace the ribbon?

thanks for the message. i think the ribbon goes trough and from all the switches/bottons (not just the protruding part - which is snapped)

an idea would be to maybe add to/extend the existing ribbon but given that its very small, would that be even possible?

What you have is snap-disc switches on a rigid-flex circuit. Each switch is a stamped dome made of very thin spring steel and plated, then soldered onto the board over a contact pattern. The board/flex cable is 100% custom designed and fabricated.

If you are sure the flex has failed you can scrape away the plastic film around the break and attempt a repair, but the odds of success are extremely low. The copper trace is very thin; that's why it can flex.

ak

thanks for all the info, very appreciate that.

so the odds of finding a replacement is pretty dim if its custom made, unless i can find a used one from the same tablet.

the part where the ribbon is inserted (on the tablet) contains 4 contacts going to the board. if i short the contacts then the power and volume works.

how possible it is to fabricate such a ribbon? i mean, is it something that a diy can do or one needs equipment? even if its a simple ribbon with just 1 switch (the power switch) would be enough. thanks

note: i found one which resembles the one i need, however its not an exact match and the buttons are spaced differently: **broken link removed**

great thanks! that's it! send me your paypal so i can send you something to buy a beer on me :)

Thanks for the thought. The thank you is enough for me. Wish you the best on your repair. This is what ETO is all about we are here to help.

Let us know if your repair is a success. Keep us posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back