Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Identify Jack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oakton

eBay sellers frequently offer the lowest prices and free shipping. That's good for the
buyer unless you have a question.

I asked the seller about this 4-pin 3.5mm stereo jack. A 3-pin stereo jack would be
normally open (NO) or normally closed (NC). As you can see, this jack has 4-pins.
The extra pin probably means you have the option of connecting this jack both ways,
depending on which configuration you need.

**broken link removed**

The seller didn't know. The answer seems obvious to me, but I've purchased components
through eBay that were not what they appeared to be. If you're 100% certain, please
let me know.

Thanks guys.

This is probably pretty close: **broken link removed**
upload_2015-11-5_1-13-56.png

Note: Your device has 5 pins in the eBay illustration.
John

Oh my goodness!

I looked at that image over and over. My brain only saw four pins. I couldn't find
my keys this morning. Maybe I'm senile. I hope not!

I've got old data books full of connector diagrams. Now that everything is online,
there really is no reason to save so much printed stuff, but I'm reluctant to throw
it out.

There is a chronic problem these days. Unless you live near Silicon Valley, most
Radio Shacks and other "brick & mortar" stores that sold electronic components
are gone. Years ago, there were five Radio Shack stores near my home. They're
all gone.

I need a few cheap components, and I'm trying to avoid paying double or triple
when you add shipping costs.

I really want several open frame (NC) jacks like the attached image. eBay has
a lot of these jacks from China, but they all appear to be normally open.3.5mm NC Stereo Jack.jpg

Last edited:
A 3-pin stereo jack isn't normally open nor normally closed. A 3-pin stereo jack has three direct connections (tip, ring, and sleeve) and no switching functions.

The jack in your link is the same as the right-most schematic, SJ1-3515. This has a switched tip contact and a switched ring contact. You can ignore the switch pins (4 and 5) and use it as a normal stereo jack.

ak

All said, Japanhalt has identified it . it is meant for three pin types. It is NOT for the 4 pin types that would be found either in portable dvd payers or mobile phones.
I-phones too use this type plug .

a possible socket is here
**broken link removed**

Could this help or just add to your doubts?

Attachments

• Jacks some possible output combinations.pdf
    124.8 KB · Views: 163
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back