Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ideas for Science Competition...

Status
Not open for further replies.

suhasm

I'm attending a science project competition which will be held on 10th nov. Any device which demonstrates any scientific phenomenon has to be built on the spot. Can anyone give me some ideas?

I am thinking of using some infrared sensors to time the fall of an object and through that , verify that g=9.8m/s2.

What do you say?

And before you start asking me to do my own homework - i'm not asking for readymade any circuits or any technical help. I just want some ideas. I will do the rest on my own.

Last edited:
do a google search

I saw a circuit that measured velocity of object (a chronograph) say a bullet froa gun.
I am working on building one using a PIC to measure the velocity of a ball leaving an air cannon.
Saw a circuit using a simple 555 timer, a counter and 2 photo transistors. not finite enough for my purpose but for a falling object yes.
what would really high light this would be solar cells or lemon batteries.

look at Giant CDS Cell Assortment-The Electronic Goldmine
they have lots of solar cells etc.

<snip> has to be built on the spot.

I am not sure what that means nor to what extent it will be enforced. What resources will you have available? For example, if your project uses an electronic device built on a PCB, do you have to make the PCB on the spot? Does this requirement preclude using programmable devices that you might bring? Can they be pre-programmed, and so forth.

John

Hi suhasm,

How about making Lissajous figures using a laser, a couple of computer fans, pots controlling speed and mirrors on the the fans angled slightly. There are quite a few tutorials online to make Lissajous figures using a laser, maybe adapt that idea and make some funky light show.

Cheers,

Rich

you mean pre-etched pcbs?
pre-soldered then where is the assembly at the competition??
read a book for 1.5 hours?
be cool to have a ball in a tube, measure the speed of travel then have a light weight ball or ? in a tube that has a vacuum in it. measure the speed.
assemble the pohto sensors at the competition, use a pic then solder it all up at the competition. have one made before hand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back