Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ideas for my project

Status
Not open for further replies.
im currently doing a project to make a LEDs flash in a pattern of sequence. its got to be analog and atm i have only made 7 leds flash like this; first on all others off, second on all others off, third on all others off going round the set of leds 2 times then flashing all at the same time like and astable. i did this with 1 555 timer 1 inverter chip one bcd counter and one 4017 ic. the only problem is that i dont liek ti very much. its a bit boring and i think there are better things. does anyone have any ideas about what i could do that is anolog and slightly more interesting?

-=GST=- Nemisis (cs/cz) said:
im currently doing a project to make a LEDs flash in a pattern of sequence. its got to be analog and atm i have only made 7 leds flash like this; first on all others off, second on all others off, third on all others off going round the set of leds 2 times then flashing all at the same time like and astable. i did this with 1 555 timer 1 inverter chip one bcd counter and one 4017 ic. the only problem is that i dont liek ti very much. its a bit boring and i think there are better things. does anyone have any ideas about what i could do that is anolog and slightly more interesting?

Your existing design isn't analogue anyway, it's digital!.

Presumably you want a non-micro design, but really a micro based design will do the job so much better and easier. You've already got three chips, a PIC16F628 will do it all in one cheap chip - and give much greater possibilities.

oh yeah i see logic gates and timers lol, it was analog unitll i added all that stuff, of whateva. HOWEVER!! the main idea of this is to have it using NO microcontrollers what so ever. just times, counter, logic gate and similar, NO microcontrollers!!!!

-=GST=- Nemisis (cs/cz) said:
oh yeah i see logic gates and timers lol, it was analog unitll i added all that stuff, of whateva. HOWEVER!! the main idea of this is to have it using NO microcontrollers what so ever. just times, counter, logic gate and similar, NO microcontrollers!!!!

Is this for a school project?.

You could always do it the old fashioned way, program an EPROM with the sequence you want and address it using binary counters. You can have a number of different sequences in the EPROM, selected with higher address lines.

Assuming it's a school project this is probably the kind of thing they want (1970's technology) - but it's obviously a lot more complicated (and expensive) than using 21st century technology.

well yeah its all i have made some good stuff using microcontrollers, now i want to prove to them i can make good stuff the old fasioned way. most other people in my class are just doing 555 to set off an astable or soemthing like that but i wanted to go one step further. no matters my current one works fine i think i will stick with that :) if ne one else does want to add ne thing feel free.

can you use a lm3915 bar graph display IC? you connect an audio source to it, and it will light up a series of led's depending on the intensity of the music. Then you take one of the outputs that lights up an LED, and connect that to the clock of your counter.
instead of lighting up an led when the audio source is loud enough, it will increment your counter, causing different leds to be lit up. Then you can arrange the leds in a niffty pattern. It works really good if you have it connected to a LPF, so the pattern will change only on the low frequencies.
It's alittle complitcated, but it's also very cool.
I did this in my car https://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/435572/2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back