Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ideas for how to use a 12-bit DAC with an 8-Bit DAC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChemE

Folks,

Here is what I am trying to do. I am going to have a PS/2 Mouse input its movement bytes into a 877A. Then have the 877A output a signal to a 12-bit DAC (MCP4922). Before I get into the my question Im going to explain the PS/2 mouse and 877A interaction. (FYI... I am using EPE magazines John Becker PS/2 host code)

When a ps/2 mouse is sending movements to a host (a 877A pic in my case) it sends 3 8-bit bytes. The first byte contains information about the button states (pressed or unpressed), the sign of the X and Y movement and X & Y overflow flags. Bytes 2 carries the movement bits for the X-direction and Byte 3 for Y-Direction. So Bytes 2 & 3 represent the mouse movement with 8-bits. (example: move up one = 00000001, move down one = 11111111

So my problem is mouse movements are represented by 8-bits while the DAC inputs are represeted by 12-bits... The equation for the DAC is:

Vout=Vref*G*D/4096​

where G is Gain which = 1 or 2 and it is up to the user which one to use.

So here are the voltages that I want, the fastest mouse movement up or right will need to generate 1.6v the fastest movement down or left 0.0v and when the mouse is idle 0.8v.

I began to write a program, using assembly, that would translate 8bits to 12bits by using a scaler to so but it seems like a hard way to do this...

• I figure this must be a common problem with alot of other projects and I am hoping there is an easier way to deal with it.
  • Could anyone help me? Any ideas?

I hate making things harder then they are. If this post wasn't clear ask me for further explaination and I will, Thank you.

Last edited:
hi cheme,

When I do a search for MCP 4022 I keep getting a 6bit digital pot???

Regards

hi,
Got the MCP4922 datasheet OK.

As you have an 8 bit resolution from the source [mouse] IMO trying to convert to 12 bit would not give any advantage.

I would consider left shifting the 8 bit data byte by 4. That is the least significant bits D3-D0 set as '0''s [ use a WORD reg ],
OR the hi byte, low order bits with the Write Command register.
[effectively dividing the 12 bit by 16]

eg: /A.B,BUF,/GA,/SHDN,[D7,6,5,4, | 3,2,1,0],0,0,0,0

Send this image to the DAC

Eric,

Thank you! That is what I should have done from the begining... much easier then trying to translate it. I guess the key learning was:

Moving numbers to the left is the same as multiplying by 2 each time

Example: rlf b'00000001' = 00000010 which is 1*2 = 2
Example: rrf b'00000010' = 00000001 which is 2/2 = 1

Thank you for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back