Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ideas for a new project. PIC and car radio AMP

Status
Not open for further replies.

mramos1

I bought my son a used car and we put in a new setero (one with an input earphone jack he can plug his MP3 player in). He was telling me it had a click or something. I went to listen. Turns out the preamp on the input jack/MP3 on the radio does not have enough gain. It is a cheap no name brand but it had SD, USB and the input jack on the front of it.

I do not want to open the radio (as it is installed and a pain to get it out).

My thought. I have an amp I can put in the trunk and there is a large wire I traced it to the battery (was shocked it had a fuse). Frame is ground. But they did not run an ignition wire to the radio area.

The AMP needs that to turn it on. If I jumper that, the amp is always on.

My thought.. I small board in the trunk that taps one of the incoming speaker wires (now an amp input) to an opto going to a pic (16F683) running 31Khz (low power). Using the pic ADC via the opto. If the PIC sees audio I know the radio is on, I power a transistor and realy to power the AMP (power/ignition).

Anyone have a better idea? Simpler is fine.

Last edited:
If the car radio is loud enough when you use the tuner/CD, then you don't need a power amp. You need a small pre-amp between the MP3 player and the input earphone jack.

Run a wire to the fuse panel and tap into a circuit that is ignition switched. ;)
Or, if your power wire powers nothing else than the amp, then put a relay in the line where it taps into the cars power system. Control this relay from a ignition switched source.

Last edited:
Correct, the right fix is a preamp, but he did not want more items on the console as this radio was to rid him of the Belkin FM transmitter and make things cleaner.

I found power in the trunk (contant power) and figured I would add it and let him push more sound in the rear.

Maybe I will look at a preamp and hide it somewhere. What is sad is the work to pull the radio again and then to open a new radio to probably change 2 resistors if I had the schematics.

Oh well. He will have to live with it. As a child I recall worse things. :)

mramos1 said:
I bought my son a used car and we put in a new setero (one with an input earphone jack he can plug his MP3 player in). He was telling me it had a click or something. I went to listen. Turns out the preamp on the input jack/MP3 on the radio does not have enough gain. It is a cheap no name brand but it had SD, USB and the input jack on the front of it.

I do not want to open the radio (as it is installed and a pain to get it out).

My thought. I have an amp I can put in the trunk and there is a large wire I traced it to the battery (was shocked it had a fuse). Frame is ground. But they did not run an ignition wire to the radio area.

The AMP needs that to turn it on. If I jumper that, the amp is always on.

My thought.. I small board in the trunk that taps one of the incoming speaker wires (now an amp input) to an opto going to a pic (16F683) running 31Khz (low power). Using the pic ADC via the opto. If the PIC sees audio I know the radio is on, I power a transistor and realy to power the AMP (power/ignition).

U are talking about a 12F683? Don't realy need a ADC for that. Just a PIC with internal comparator like 12F629. Rectify a part of the audio signal (u can use a transformer for better insulation). Just be careful about the voltage limits for PIC's imput (use a voltage divider or a diode in series with a resistor ev).
Even simple ...a opamp with a low voltage ref and a 1 transistor amplifyer for the rectified signal.

Tarsil.

Not a bad idea. A transformer, output thru a I diode into an opamp and a voltage divider on the - side. There is probably some voltage when the radio is on (no matter how high the volume is) to force the opamp high.. And a transistor to the relay. That should do it.

Hmmmm.... Another thought. Most car radio audio stages are a bridge output; ie: the outputs are biased at 1/2 the supply voltage when the radio is on. Use this 6-8Vdc signal to turn on a relay via a transistor. You may need a diode and cap to keep the transistor on between peaks in the audio waveform at full volume.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back