Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

IDE CD player through PIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

wmmullaney

I have lots of very old cd drives(2x) laying around and I was wondering, is it posable to connect a pic to the drive and have buttons to 1. PLAY 2. SKIP FORWARD 3. SKIP BACK and 4. STOP. (Audio through the headphone port) I have looked in Google extensively, I need schematics and code for (PIC16F628A).

Thanks William

If they have the buttons and a headphone jack they most likely only need power to work.
It's a big effort otherwise for little gains.
**broken link removed**

How good are your building and PIC programming skills? Are you comfortable with soldering and wiring point to point a PIC, pushbuttons and 40pin IDC connector? You have a spare PC power supply with +5 & +12?
A CD player is a cheap device now, you can even get them from Goodwill for almost nothing.

I'm okay at programming, and good at soldering, I have a 40 pin connector, and a power supply, the project is for pic programming skills and doing something with all my drives. I don't have any idea how to communicate with the drive, thats the problem, I need some code to look at.

Thank you, futz, that's not what I want. Those links connect to hard disks, I want a simple cd rom only connection.

Yes Bill, I am new, but I am catching on, I just need some simple instruction, and maybe a little code.

wmmullaney said:
Thank you, futz, that's not what I want. Those links connect to hard disks, I want a simple cd rom only connection.

Yes Bill, I am new, but I am catching on, I just need some simple instruction, and maybe a little code.

But those links ARE what you need to do it. The files on a CD are written in a file system, and you need to know how that system works before you can access them. I think it is a difficult project, and you might want to try accessing an SD or MMC card as a first step.

wmmullaney said:
I have lots of very old cd drives(2x) laying around and I was wondering, is it posable to connect a pic to the drive and have buttons to 1. PLAY 2. SKIP FORWARD 3. SKIP BACK and 4. STOP. (Audio through the headphone port) I have looked in Google extensively, I need schematics and code for (PIC16F628A).

Presumably you want to create an audio CD player using a CD-ROM and a PIC?. There have been various examples on the net, but you need a larger device than a 16F628, the 16F877 is what you need.

However, the problem is that most of the sites no longer exist, so you need to do some serious googling!.

My personal favourite was

**broken link removed**

which also hosted the famous heart monitor, but it's long gone :(

I really wish I'd saved it while it weas there!.

I really wish I'd saved it while it weas there!.

Yes, I have experienced the same, and as a result try to archive all that is interesting. The problem is that I spend WAY more time on the web!

Point is that the project can be done but it's a fairly advanced project either way. The SD card has no audio and you'd need to build an MP3 decoder (SOIC too).
Try a simple project, get your feet wet. Flash some LEDs then build a clock. The IDE drive would be an easier project but difficult as it's no longer a popular project. The links futz posted contains most of the info you'd need to begin, but you're going to have to understand how IDE works first. You still need a power supply, are you going to use a nice noisy PC supply to run it. ATX supplies you'll have to mod the ATX cable to turn it on & off.
Why don't you try building and programming the "Magic lamps" from the other thread first.

I'v already written a binary clock, led flasher, and a program that deals with weird numbers. I am having all sorts of trouble JUST getting a pc to program my pic, I need to have 12v to enter HVP (JDM) and I only have one computer that can do it, but, on that computer I can't format the hard drive for win98, (I am using the startup floppy) my drive is 20 gigs and Fdisk insists that it is 7 mb, and making a partition results in a 7 mb disk. If I can get this computer to work, I already have my hex files, I should be good to go.

I will write the code for my "MicroMagic Switchboard"

I'v tried multiple HDs, still 7mb.

Ok here's a project for you and it's an excellent one IMO.
A PICkit2 as writing any complex code for a PIC is much easier with a debugger and a proper programmer.
I've built my first one by hand, then I turned it into a kit. The manual on my site includes the schematic and the firmware is part of MPLAB or PICkit 2 software and you can use your JDM to program it initially.
**broken link removed**
The Junebug PK2SE prototype.

wmmullaney said:
Does anyone just have some code? Does the PIC need to understand the file system? I thought it just commanded the cd player to play through the audio port.

It does, but you still have to read the TOC off the disc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back