Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I'd Like to actually know what I'm Doing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Fornax

Hi, I'm new to the boards and have very limited technical knowledge. I like to futz around with electronics and fix broken stuff that I either find or have broken myself. I'd like to learn how to read a schematic, understand termanology, and keep the "magic blue smoke" inside the things I'm working on (I've been told the blue smoke is what makes stuff work :D ) Could someone please point me towards links, books, or online courses for true beginners? You probably see this question alot here but I couldn't find a topic for the "don't-know-much" guy like me. I really appreciate your help.

Aiight man, first off, your age, I'd like to know, just to see what's available, also your income (you have a job/unemployed, and how much spendable cash you've got)

Based on this you can do one of three things.

If you're unemployed and have little spendable cash, regardless of age, you should probably go in search of an online tutorial.

If you're still in school, I'd say try to look for a tech class you can take.

If you're out of school and have some spare cash, my best advice is to go to a local college and find a few classes on electronics, these are the best ways to learn because if you have a question, it may not be answered by an online tutorial, and your teacher will also have years of hands on experience so they can tell you a lot.

Also the magic blue smoke, well the only thing I can say is, if your stuff keeps puffing smoke, I'd definately say try to stand clear, because some of the stuff is toxic, like the smoke that comes out of a christmas light when you pop it with a string of 9v batteries, yeah, it's poisonous.

Thanks for the response. I'm 31, and a currently unemployed stagehand/sound engineer. Which leaves me with the short on cash options. I did find a site **broken link removed** I'm interested to hear what others think of it. I am working on an idea that involves tapinginto a PS2 controller (USB steering wheel actually) to make a real shifter. Any thoughts on that or help from someone who's done it would be GREATLY apprieciated. BTW the blue smoke was a joke... sound guys like to say "the blue smoke" is what makes electronics/speakers etc work.. kinda like magic pixie dust.
thanks for the help................................FORNAX

buy and read Practical Electronics for Inventors by Paul Scherz. $28 at Amazon. I am very new at electronics as well, and this book has been very helpful to me. But beware, there are many typos and errors that do detract from the book's usefulness. Check out the reviews at Amazon.

Yes, the smoke is what makes everything work. I've found that things like motors and alternators require a great deal of smoke, let it all out and they just stop working. IC's and transistors only use a little smoke, but it comes out easier.
Even things like wood get their structural integrity from smoke. Let it out and your house falls down. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back