Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ID component in TO-220 form, used in motor AC/DC 250V control

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmuench

I have two ABB motor drive boards that were burned, and one that is new and working. It is used to open and close a 3 pole 400 amp breaker. I need to replace a device on the two bad boards that are shorted, and I cannot ID the part on the good one. It has a mounting tab like a 12 v, or 5v regulator and 3 leads out the bottom; looks exactly like a TO-220 device. An ohmmeter on the two outer leads reads 40 ohm in both directions using a Simpson 260. Same test with a Fluke DVM shows 60 ohms each way. The middle lead shows an infinite resistance to the other two. There is no connection to the tab from any of the 3 leads. Using 250 VAC to the left-most lead, the right-most lead measures 250 VAC also. There is zero volts on the middle lead. Activating the motor drive, a momentary 250 VAC to one pole of the motor, the motor turns through several cycles, then stops when a series microswitch is activated in one lead of the motor. The motor is AC or DC with brushes, I think it is known as a Universal Motor. Once the motor stops turning, then I have 12 VAC on the center lead of this device. The motor cycle has completely opened the breaker at this point. Then I momentarily switch 250 VAC on another lead to activate a solenoid to latch the circuit breaker to a fully closed position. ABB is of zero help with this--no schematic, no ID, will sell a new one to me for $ 2000.00--that's their help.

The bad devices are shorted to zero ohm on all 3 leads, but still no connection to the mounting tab. I've looked at all the Triacs, Diacs, IG, Quadrac, Alternistor, etc, and cannot decide which, if any, are likely to be the ID. No, there are no markings of any kind on the component in question.

There is a Toshiba TLP3022 Optical LED Triac in series with the lead on the right-most side. This keeps the motor running after the momentary contact gets it started. Then the motor stops when a cog hits the microswitch. Opening the middle lead of the device, activating the momentary 250 VAC will start the motor, but a series 215 ohm resistor burns up in the output of the TLP3022 in series with the motor drive. I guess the motor drive might be sharing the motor load through the center lead and the lead through the Led Triac?

Any suggestions from anyone other than spending $4000.00 would be appreciated.

Are there any numbers on the device? Post a pic. You may have to wait a day or so before you can.

Draw the circuit incorporating the device. Fets, SCR's, Triacs, transistors and other stuff comes in these packages.

There are people on the net that specialize in repair of these sorts off things, but you really didn't give enough to go on.

Just a few observation based on your description;
1.TLP3022 can be used as a Triac driver. It is mainly used in series with the Gate which is usually the right-most side of the TO-220 package.
2. "No tab" connection indicates as being isolated type. Not sure of your ohm's measurements in between the pins though? Is it with device in or out of the circuit?

I'll 2nd KISS: by description it sounds like an opto coupled triac (3022) driving the triac that energizes the coil of the 3 phase contactor, but we really need a diagram. G.H. <<<)))

I am tracing and re-drawing the schematic and should have it completed by late Tuesday. The device has no ID on it, but will send a picture of it. Most of the components on the board have ID and this will be noted on the schematic. Thanks for your help.

I noted the right-most lead on most devices is the gate, which is puzzling to me that it doesn't ohm that way. The device was measured out of the circuit. The center lead seems to be isolated as well until the device blows up, then it is a short to the other two leads, and when in the circuit in operation, supplies 12 VAC at the end of the motor drive cycle. Obviously it is not totally isolated, but extremely high.

View attachment ABBMotorDriveLogic.PDFI have a schematic and pictures. I guess I am limited to 3 files, so I am sending a pdf of the schematic, and a picture each of the device and the board. Thank you.

Attachments

• ABBschematic.PDF
    38.6 KB · Views: 165
  • DSC03658_edited.JPG
    DSC03658_edited.JPG
    1,001.8 KB · Views: 129
  • DSC03663.JPG
    DSC03663.JPG
    570.5 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.