Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ICSP wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilimike

At one point I picked up this way of connecting ICSP from a datasheet and I've applied this to all of my circuits.
pic.png
I've never had issues but I am wondering if I need R1,D1 and C1 unless I want to use Port A5 as an input. If I don't use A5 can I just drop those 3 components and connect MCLR directly to VPP pin of ICSP connector?

Mike

Thanks Burt,

Your response brings one more question; if I set MCLR to OFF will it interfere with R1, C1 and D1?
A quick test on breadboard shows that my circuit still works when MCLR is off while using the 3 components but just to make sure.

Mike

Sorry, This is still not clear to me, please correct me if I am wrong.
Based on the fact that I always have an ICSP connector hooked up for the purpose of program updates.

If I use Port A5 as I/O I should keep the 3 components and set MCLR = On
If I do not use Port A5 as I/O I should remove the 3 components and set MCLR = Off

Is this correct?

Mike

If YOU use Port A5 as I/O YOU should remove the 3 components and set MCLR = Off

Last edited:
Ok so since I do not use Port A5 as per my first post, I need to keep the 3 components and set MCLR = On?

sorry if I am slow tonight, could be the wine.

Mike

If YOU use Port A5 as I/O YOU should remove the 3 components and set MCLR = Off

Sorry, but I would disagree with you, under almost all circumstances the three components won't have much, or any, effect on using the pin as I/O.

However, I would remove the capacitor anyway, as it's not really required - and is the main component that 'might' have a small effect on I/O.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back