Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ICD2 vs PICKit 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
The photo sure looks like a PICkit2, can you hold down the button before plugging in the USB (busy LED will flash) then run PICkit2 2.40 software and follow the instructions.

I did it, it asked me to upload an OS firmware, and I chose the latest from microchip's website.
Application version 2.40.00
Device File version 1.41.00
OS Firmware Version 2.10.00

PicKit2 2.40 shows a message stating that everything is OK, and PicKit2 is detected. But if I open MPLAB 8.00, PicKit2 is disabled in programmer and debugger menus....
Now I use "Use VPP Frist Programming Entry" under PicKit2 2.40 and it works fine with 12F629. This is solved, but MPLAB 8.00 does not detect it. I tried plugging PicKit2 before opening MPLAB, and also while it is open...

The 12F629 does not have hardware debug built in. MPLAB can program it fine, you have to select it from /Configure/Select Device it doesn't autodetect but will check the chip ID.

Ok, now it is working! I selected 24hj12gp102 which is the PIC I'm working at the moment, not supported in MPLAB 8.00, and that's why the pickit2 was disabled in the programmer and debug menus. I think it's supported in the latest version though.

thank you for your help, all working fine.

ICD2 versus pickit2

The pickit2 uses 1.1 usb and the icd2 uses 2.0 usb. The $900 Universal Programer lets you program chips without a computer and if you need to program lots of chips as in a assembly line. The icd2 is also for assembly type programming I guess that means that the hardware they use is the same as pickit 2 but more durable and can be used alot without being turned off. But I'm going with the Pickit 3 (new) and later upgrade to a icd2 from Microchip or a clone icd3. Cause of the prices of course. A clone pickit 2 costs the same as a genuine Pickit 2! Go with the orginal. Its woth it to someone that doesn't have alot of money because you can find a forum on the internet that upgrades a pickit 2 to the capabilites of the newest Pickit 3 or ICD 3. Just a little more work!

Also, I forgot to mention...the ICD2 is suppose to read external eeproms but no one sells the adapters for it. Well, someone who knows Pickit 2 has done this for the Pickit 2 as. I wonder if it would be alot of work to convert is to Pickit 3.

Actually the ICD2 hardware (16F877 + USB) is older than the PK2 (18F2550). The ICD2 also must upload an new OS when you switch PIC types, the PK2 does not. The PK3 is a wholly different (24Fxxxx) beast than the PK2.
My PK2 clone the Junebug is very easy to repair compared to a genuine PK2 and includes a small tutor so you can start programming right away, it's also a kit and it's rewarding to build something vs simply buying one.

PICKIT2 is a great programmer. I bought mine from ebay for $25
**broken link removed**

It simply works fantastic and integrate very well with MPLab.
I also had a ICD2. It worked very well for few months and then started to give so many problems. I'm using PICKIT2 for many years now and it works absolutely very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back