Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ICD2 problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

zachtheterrible

I have what I hope is a simple problem. I bought me an ICD2 clone off ebay, and Ive gotten as far as trying to get it to connect, and I think it is, but I'm getting this message:

Connecting to MPLAB ICD 2
...Connected
Setting Vdd source to target
ICDWarn0020: Invalid target device id (expected=0x72, read=0x0)
...Reading ICD Product ID
Running ICD Self Test
... Failed Self Test. See ICD2 Settings (status tab) for details.
MPLAB ICD 2 Ready

as I recall, most of the clones are either blank or contain a pirate / invalid Microchip firmware ... did you load up the onboard processor with the latest ICD2 firmware? ... I think you need a secondary programmer for this, but I'm not 100% certain.

justDIY said:
as I recall, most of the clones are either blank or contain a pirate / invalid Microchip firmware ... did you load up the onboard processor with the latest ICD2 firmware? ... I think you need a secondary programmer for this, but I'm not 100% certain.

'Pirate' is rather the wrong word, they include the software that MicroChip have available on their website for free download - which hardly constitutes piracy?.

They also provide the full circuit diagram of their ICD2, so there's not even reverse engineering going on.

MicroChip aren't in business to make money selling programmers, so I suspect they are quite happy for people to clone the ICD2 - after all, it can only be used for programming MicroChip devices!.

I would expect a clone programmer you buy to already have a programmed chip in it, because you do need a seperate programmer to program it originally.

Nigel Goodwin said:
'Pirate' is rather the wrong word, they include the software that MicroChip have available on their website for free download - which hardly constitutes piracy?.

from the MPLAB license agreement:

"You may not reverse engineer (by disassembly, decompilation, translation, or otherwise) Software and may not copy or reproduce all or any portion of Software, except to the extent that such activity is specifically allowed by this agreement or expressly permitted by applicable law notwithstanding the foregoing limitations."

... reading the rest of the document, in no place does it specifically grant permission to copy or reproduce the firmware included with the MPLab ICD 2.

I agree that Microchip is hardly being harmed by persons redistributing the firmware for PIC programmers, as you say, it just means more people out there using PIC microcontrollers.

However, that excuse is often used to defend software piracy, such as the unofficial policy of Microsoft in the early 90's, they didn't care if you bought or stole Windows, another windows user is all they wanted to see.

Just because we feel some action might be benefiting a company, that doesn't make it right to violate a license agreement the company put forth in good faith when they provided the software.

I got one off ebay. It has the name micro4you.com printed on the silkscreen.

I did load it up with the firmware. It seems that it is actually connecting, but one of the voltages, I forget which one is "high". As for the other error, I'll try googling it.

out of curiosity, did you actually look at the status tab? I suspect Vpp is wrong but with out that information, how could anyone help youi?

the warning (traget ID) is probably due to no target PIC being attached.

Philba you were right, once I put a pic in that message goes away. I fear that this is a hardware problem.

Module Vpp is high, and MCLR Vpp is low. Everything else passes. I can't program a PIC with it either.

got DMM? use it...

on most ICD2 clones, they use dividers to get a voltage that is <5V. If the Vpp measures (via your DMM) OK, then you need to find the dividers and fix them. If it is off, you need to figure out how they get the Vpp. Or send it back.

out of curiosity, what PIC is on the programmer (not the target pic)?

Phil

Hiya Zac,
I took a look at that ICD2 clone you got from the web link and it looks ok. Get the pdf on using the ICD2 from microchip and read it thoughtly, I had a similar problem when I first started with my Olminex ICD2 clone and my problem basically come down to making sure the setting in mplab was target device has it's own power supply and making sure the the target pic had power applied to it. This cured the problems so go have a read and give it a go. Just for a test put a 16f628 in and mlpab should say it needs to download a new operating system to the ICD2. If this happens then you have a working ICD2.

Hope this helps

Cheers Bryan :)

zachtheterrible

same you haver problem with USB power.if you have +5vdc adapter please test with it.

i got this document from this web : **broken link removed**

:)

zachtheterrible said:
I have what I hope is a simple problem. I bought me an ICD2 clone off ebay, and Ive gotten as far as trying to get it to connect, and I think it is, but I'm getting this message:

MPLAB read wrong devices ID, many errors cause this, such as, you haven't connect PIC to ICD2 cable or 74HC126 had damaged.

ICSP cable too long, (< 30cm only).

I've built crazyduck ICD2 on EDAboard, It run as Microchip ICD2 :D
It's coast 20USD only, (in VietNam)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back