Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ICD2 operating system

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you have access to another programmer you could try programming the 16F877A with this and try it in the inchworm. The original 16F877-20 requires BL010101.HEX (found in the ICD2 directory with MPLAB)

Attachments

• Inchworm16F877A with OS.zip
    11.3 KB · Views: 149
williB said:
Code:
i'm thinking the os goes into the target?
[/QUOTE]
Maybe this will help you understand the Inchworm and related software.

MPLAB communicates with the Inchworm bootloader and loads the OS to the Inchworm PIC.

If you use the Inchworm as a programmer (using program under the program menu item), that is all the software needed.

If you use the Inchworm as a debugger,  the target is programmed with a debug executive when you program your code (using program under the debug menu item).  To debug the target, MPLAB communicates with the Inchworm OS which communicates with the target debug executive to cause the program to run, stop/breakpoint, and examine data or registers.

[QUOTE=Me earlier this thread]The bootlaoder is a small program that runs on the Inchworm 16F877. About the only thing it does is allow MPLAB to download sortware (the OS) into the 16F877. A 16F877 will not work in an inchworm without the bootloader.

The OS is loaded by MPLAB to the Inchworm 16F877. The OS is used to communicate with the target chip. The OS used is dependant on the target chip type. You need to download an OS once to start with. Each time you switch between PIC12, PIC16, and PIC18 you need to download a matching OS. Set the MPLAB interface to allow it to do so automatically.

The target chip has a program of its own known as a debug executive. The debug executive is used in conjunction with the onchip debug hardware to step, breakpoint, and run programs on the target. When you program a target MPLAB will download the debug executive for you if needed.

To recap.

* The Inchworm 16F877 must be programmed with a bootloader prior to using it with the Inchworm (ones supplied with kit have this).
    * Once you get the Inchworm assembled you have to download the correct OS. See the assembly instruction.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
i do not have access to a working programmer ( mine isnt reading values correctly)
thats why i ordered your kit

its about time..
TWO weeks almost to the hour , since i recieved the two kits.
and it works.

Yes It BLINKS .

it took less time to design my programmer , writing the programmer software took much longer , but now i have the use of mplab debugging capabilities which my programmer did not have

Thank you all !! who tried to help.
the first thing i did was to program another ICD2 chip.

and used that one to program another. so now i should be set for a while.
thanks again
now i have some more reading to do on the debugger.

3v0 said:
Be sure to pay homage to the petty gods of embedded systems.

What have you changed/done that you have not posted about to make it work.
i simply installed the second 16F877-20 that i came with the second kit that i ordered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back