Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

IC-Prog 1.06 - Verify failed at address 0000h - bug

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdfruth

Hello to all.
I'm new to the forum. And new to the PIC MC.

This forum has been a tremendous help in getting up to speed quickly on everything needed to work with PIC's. I've had previous experience with other MC's (i.e. Intel 80xx, and Motorola 68xxx), but have never done anything with PIC until now. So thanks to all the great info here, I was able to successfully design, prototype, and build my first project incorporating a PIC16F88. Having never worked with A/D before, I thought this would be a good time to learn.

As my first post, I thought I'd share something that may help others.

I've been using MPLab to do all the code, simulation, and debugging (of course).
And I chose to use an enhanced JDM serial PIC programmer from MCUMall (https://www.mcumall.com/comersus/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=3170). For $5.50 on eBay, I couldn't resist :D

However, I had been using the latest version of IC-Prog (v1.06 at the moment) running on WinXP Pro SP2. Each time I'd hit the "Programm All" button, I'd get a "Verify failed at address 0000h" error during the verification phase of the programming operation. The code actually does get into the my PIC16F88 (I know, cuz when I'd install the PIC into my target application, it work as designed)... the verification would just fail.

So I got to looking at the signal on the MCLR pin, and noticed that IC-Prog wasn't holding it high (13V) during the verification phase. On a hunch I downloaded an older version of IC-Prog (V1.05d). It works perfectly now. Sooooo, I'm thinking a bug has been introduced in V1.06. If you're having the dreaded "Verify failed at address 0000h" blues, try V1.05d. I'll bet it clears things up.

Hope this helps someone.
And thanks for all who contribute here. It's been a great read. :)

P.S. As predicted (as per all the testimolials here), my laptop serial port doesn't work with the JDM programmer. Voltages are too low. But it works great with one of the servers in my lab (with a "Real" serial interface).

Welcome to Electro-Tech-Online,

can you please try out winpic800 ver3.62
from www.winpic800.com

in the 1.06 you try to set I/O delay time to 20 instead of 4 set by the supplier. the comments on the help file guides that, as the PC's frequecy is more, increase the I/O delay.

Last edited:
Have the code protect bits been set on ?

I don't know if IC-Prog sets the code protect config bits after verification.

picbits said:
Have the code protect bits been set on ?

I don't know if IC-Prog sets the code protect config bits after verification.

under such condition, there is a facility to verify during programming. this will work well instead of verify after programming.

while driver is ON, see at

"settings"- "options"- "programming" and set it accordingly

Update on IC-Prog V1.06

I've been corresponding with Bonny via email.
A bug has been found in V1.06.
I have tested the fix, with very good results.

pdfruth said:
I've been corresponding with Bonny via email.
A bug has been found in V1.06.
I have tested the fix, with very good results.
Very Nice Pdfruth,
thanks

I hope we can now try download a corrected version I hope.

Thanks again.

mvs sarma said:
Very Nice Pdfruth,
thanks

I hope we can now try download a corrected version I hope.

Thanks again.

Looks like the IC-Prog website has been updated with the bug fix.
Look for V1.06A.

pdfruth said:
Looks like the IC-Prog website has been updated with the bug fix.
Look for V1.06A.

Yes and I had downloaded an hour back, the latest version

Thanks again

dear all,

im very new to custom made PIC programmers and am getting this error "verification failed at address 0000h". i created a JDM programmer exactly the way shown in icprog. i checked everything i.e. different versions stated in this post but nothing works. i know that JDM supports 16f84 but unfortunately i couldn't find 16f84 in the loacal market so i bought 16f84a. do you think this error might be due to the 16f84a? pls help me out.

More likely it's due to the JDM programmer been crap - it's the poorest one out there, and is HIGHLY dependent on the PC that it connects to, many PC's won't work at all, particularly modern ones and laptops.

More likely it's due to the JDM programmer been crap - it's the poorest one out there, and is HIGHLY dependent on the PC that it connects to, many PC's won't work at all, particularly modern ones and laptops.

but do you think it can be because of the PIC? i tried to search if JDM supports 16f84a but everywhere it says JDM supports 16f84. one more thing, i unchecked verification during programming and verification after programing in settings > option. when i press program all, the progress bar completes but when i click read all, my buffer says 0000h or NOP. doesn't that mean that the pic hasn't been programmed at all?

but do you think it can be because of the PIC? i tried to search if JDM supports 16f84a but everywhere it says JDM supports 16f84. one more thing, i unchecked verification during programming and verification after programing in settings > option. when i press program all, the progress bar completes but when i click read all, my buffer says 0000h or NOP. doesn't that mean that the pic hasn't been programmed at all?

A blank PIC reads as 0xFF - the hardware programming requirements of the 16F84A are no different from the 16F84 (or indeed the 16C84). It's the programming software which needs to support the device, NOT the hardware.

It's a classic result with a JDM, the PIC isn't been switched to programing mode.

A blank PIC reads as 0xFF - the hardware programming requirements of the 16F84A are no different from the 16F84 (or indeed the 16C84). It's the programming software which needs to support the device, NOT the hardware.

It's a classic result with a JDM, the PIC isn't been switched to programing mode.

thanks a lot for the feedback Nigel. What do you suggest i should do? i can buy a programmer from microchip but it would be very expensive for me. are there any other simple programmers that i could build?

thanks a lot for the feedback Nigel. What do you suggest i should do? i can buy a programmer from microchip but it would be very expensive for me. are there any other simple programmers that i could build?

There are various parallel port examples on my website, generally parallel port ones are far more reliable than the so called 'serial port' ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back