Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I need to build an LED strip to replace a 25W CCFL tube

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpoopdog

Im working on building LED strips that can be used in wacom cintiq 24HDs to replace the CCFLs when they fail because its not possible to access the lights , remove and replace, then close the monitor up again, plus the high voltage insulation isnt insulating properly, and the cherry on top is that most people needing to do thi fix are not physically capable of repotting CCFLs, basic soldering is a stretch for them, its a $3000 monitor.

Anyway, LED backlight conversion kits exist, but they are garbage, strips will barely hit 5W each (for top and bottom) run off the regulator that comes with them, and 10W, if powered with a specially tuned regulator right at their upper limits for continuous duty. But thats not enough, not for 100% of the time. 80% maybe.

Regardless of why, im looking to build LED strips, not just for me, but for others too looking to repair/upgrade their monitors. Current strips are 4mm, 10W, im looking to make about 7mm ones, capable of outputting 20W, 25W if possible though. the strips can be adhered to the chasis of the monitor which is solid aluminium, so cooling is possible.

Im wondering how to source strip materials, and what kind of material should i go for, does aluminium PCB exist? ideally it should be very thermally conductive. i dont need a single 54cm strip though for top and bottom, i can always divide the two strips up into 4, with wires entering the corners, theres plenty of room.

Sourcing the actual LEDs however wont be much of a problem, nor will actually assembling this thing. The monitor is actually pretty tolerant of led spacing, it all goes through diffusion lenses so, spacing wont matter too much, though i will still be packing it properly.
My only issue is in the strip material. I have 54cm to fill, 7mm width, and probably 10mm of depth available.

What should i do/ where should i go to source the materials, even just for prototyping?

I can't offer any advice as such, but I can tell you that aluminium substrate PCB does exist - it's used routinely for LED lighting applications just like this.
I imagine it might be a bit of a speciallist thing to manufacture though, so it might be tough (and expensive) to find a company who will make it for you.

Maybe someone know who makes it?

Of course. The aluminum PCB is existed! I am a manufacturing engineer in the printed circuit board industry. I just browsed your thread and find it interesting. Actually you can have the aluminum strip customized to fit the space in the monitor. And output of 25W is practical.

Of course. The aluminum PCB is existed! I am a manufacturing engineer in the printed circuit board industry. I just browsed your thread and find it interesting. Actually you can have the aluminum strip customized to fit the space in the monitor. And output of 25W is practical.

How much do you think it would cost? manufacturing aluminium circuit strips?
the actual circuitry would be very basic, either just a big long parallel rail or 9-12v series of LEDs in parallel. Just wanna get a rough idea for the cost of a 7mmx540mm strip

Yeah I mean have the Aluminum board(actually it is kind like LED Strip right?) fabricated. I think it would cost about 100$ for several pieces boards like that. Trust me it is real. I once come across with the similar. And I feel happy if my answer is helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back