Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

i need it

Status
Not open for further replies.

philipsi

hello.i need a PIC16F84A programmer and its software.i heard that JDM programmer is the best and cheaper but i dont know where to get it.can anyone share your working JDM programmer and its software.thanks a lott

Build a P16PRO40, scematics available on winpicprog.co.uk
It's also very cheap but does not rely on the serial port as much as JDM

JDM tends to fail if your serial port's voltage is not high enough
P16Pro40 uses its own power supply and parallel port

how do check the voltage at the serial port so that i know it is suitable for JDM programmer?

can P16Pro40 or JDM program the 16F877 PIC chip?

philipsi said:

how do check the voltage at the serial port so that i know it is suitable for JDM programmer?

The P16PRO40 accepts PIC's from 8 to 40 pins, the 877 is fine - I don't know about JDM - personally I wouldn't go for a cheap 'serial port' programmer, they tend to have too many problems (which is why WinPicProg doesn't support them!).

Nigel Goodwin said:
philipsi said:
- personally I wouldn't go for a cheap 'serial port' programmer, they tend to have too many problems (which is why WinPicProg doesn't support them!).

take that back guy, I've bulid 2 jdm programmers and they work "PERFECT" i can program ANY EEprom chip

www.ic-prog.com

but then again, I am a professional :lol:
so if something doesnt work for me then, i make it work

philipsi said:

measure the voltage of your serial port (just measure between pc-case and serial port pins until you get a reading)
It should be about 12 volts, a bit higher is even better...
My 2 compaq pc's only have 7V at their serial ports - too low to get the pic to enter programming mode

Re: 1111

tom2000 said:
take that back guy, I've bulid 2 jdm programmers and they work "PERFECT" i can program ANY EEprom chip

Nothing to take back!, I merely quoted a well known fact - the JDM programmer, as with all similar designs, has reliability problems - due to the fact that it relies on above standard performance of the serial port handshake lines.

If you have a PC which meets it's requirements - then it works fine, if you have a PC which fails to meet them - it won't work at all, and if you have a PC which is marginal - it might work some of the time.

I am slowly but surely collecting the things I'll need to begin working with microcontrollers. I have been giving some thought as to where to begin and cost, among other things, is part of the decision equation. I'd draw from this discussion and others that some free or very low cost stuff is available however the lower cost stuff might be more troublesome than some of the costlier alternatives. For a skilled practitioner the "troublesome" varieties might result in minor inconveniences however for a beginner they might be formidable obstacles to learning. In my own case I might not be able to sort out the inconveniences from flaws in my understanding.

Thanks for the help. Comments would be appreciated.

hello guys i need the PCB layout for the P16PRO programmer. can anyone share its layout?

another question.since this is the 1st time i build my own programmer and 1st time i interface to pc,i need some helps. from the diagram of P16PRO, the pins 2-6,10 and 18-25 is connected. then wat about pins 1,7-9, 11-17? do i need to connect or leave it unconnected?

i got the P16PRO schematic diagram from https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2003/12/p16pro40.pdf

but at the bottom of the siagram,it is written "P16PRO programmer for PIC16Cxx microcontrollers by Bojan Dobaj".since i want to use the programmer for PIC16F84A and PIC16F877 but not PIC16Cxx, is it compatible with those chips?

i also downloaded the PCB layout from https://www.picallw.com, which is shown below:
and decide to build it.is this PCB layout certified working?because next week is my exam and i dont have time to redo it if i doesnt work.

**broken link removed**

Attachments

• PIC_198.jpg
    PIC_198.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 1,347
i programmed 16F84, 16F628, 16F876, 16F877, 12F675, 12C508 with P16Pro40 upto now.

Many other chips will be programmed with p16pro40 as well, Its the software u use to upload that's more inportant

I use WinpicProg and IC-Prog
Winpicprog is faster and better for the above chips, but the 16F876A, 16F877A are giving me troubles with Winpicprog, so i use IC-Prog for them

Exo said:
I use WinpicProg and IC-Prog
Winpicprog is faster and better for the above chips, but the 16F876A, 16F877A are giving me troubles with Winpicprog, so i use IC-Prog for them

Thank you for the praise for WinPicProg 8)

The speed comes from only programming the bytes which need to be programmed.

The current working version (and a limited release beta version) supports the 876A and 877A, they are FLASH versions of the previous EEPROM 876 and 877 and require a different programming algorithm - they program much faster than the EEPROM chips.

I've also used IC-Prog, I presume it's based on my old 16 bit code which I released a few years ago - seeing as it includes my disassembler from that version, complete with my name in it :lol:

Nigel Goodwin said:
The current working version (and a limited release beta version) supports the 876A and 877A, they are FLASH versions of the previous EEPROM 876 and 877 and require a different programming algorithm - they program much faster than the EEPROM chips.

Yes, i know about the version of WPP with support for the 'A' chips. Still, i have problems programming them. For some reason IC-prog does them on the first try.

Still experimenting with IO delay settings though. I suspect the problem is somewhere with the settings

i built the hardware and installed the software.but the programmer seems not working.the green led keeps glowing and nothing happen.... :cry:

philipsi said:
i built the hardware and installed the software.but the programmer seems not working.the green led keeps glowing and nothing happen.... :cry:

If you are using WinPicProg you can manually toggle the output lines from the Hardware screen - in this way you can check and confirm that everything is connected and working correctly - just use a voltmeter on the pins of the PIC socket and make sure they change when the correct buttons are toggled, and make sure they change the correct way!. The other two LED's should light when you turn on Vpp and Vpp40.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back