Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I need help with photoelectric sensing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poetsmantra

Hey everyone, I have a project in the works in which I am stuck on the schematic design. I will try to explain this the best I can...

Project background information:
What started this project was the simple fact that I became fed up with cleaning up beer bottles and pop cans after a social get together at my house.
In my kitchen island, I built a bottle/can return chute for recylcables. This chute (4" PVC) goes down to the basement and ends in a large container to hold recycled cans.

What I am trying to do here is design a simple system/circuit to tell me when the container is full. What I am going to use as an identifier is a "RED/GREEN/BLUE" combination LED. On this particular LED, I am only going to use the "GREEN" for empty, and "RED" for full.

I would like to use some sort of photoelectric sensor to sit atop the container and measure it's empty/full state. When the can height passes the sensor, it is to change the led from "GREEN" to "RED." I don't have much knowledge in photoelectronics which is why I am here today.

Also, I have a bright 2600MCD "BLUE" LED in which is going to light up the chute entrance when the door is pulled down to insert a can (will be triggered by a magnetic reed switch of some sorts).

I would like to use a 12V 500ma power source for this project (same power source for both the sensor application and the lighting of the chute entrance).

I have included some pictures of the material and project I am working with. I would appreciate any and all help!

Attachments

• tab1.jpg
    tab1.jpg
    716.4 KB · Views: 278
  • tab2.jpg
    tab2.jpg
    833.6 KB · Views: 185
It probably would be easiest to buy an IR sensor module such as **broken link removed**, to detect when the container is full. It has a digital output that can drive transistors to turn the LEDs on.

It requires a nominal 5V supply, so you would need a 5VDC (regulated) wall-wort for that.

It can detect to 31". Is that sufficient for your container?

So what Red/Green/Blue LED were you planning on using?

Here's a schematic of the sensor driving the two-color LED. The transistors and diodes are non-critical and any similar devices should work.

Proximity Sensor.GIF

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back