Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I need help really badly

Status
Not open for further replies.

mastah_chris

Hi :) I'm in my last semester and I was thinking of creating a wireless power supply that could power up certain devices or maybe for charging cellphones. I know you guys are really good and I was hoping if you could help me out. If you know of how to design this or maybe you know any other new projects please reply. Links and ideas will really be appriciated. Thanks guys :?

mastah_chris said:
....creating a wireless power supply that could power up certain devices or maybe for charging cellphones....

Well i am not able to understand what exactly you want to do, Are you trying to say that you will turn on your so called wireless powersupply and the mobile phone placed on your desk (And not connected to any powersource by wire) will get charged using it?

dipal_z said:
mastah_chris said:
....creating a wireless power supply that could power up certain devices or maybe for charging cellphones....

Well i am not able to understand what exactly you want to do, Are you trying to say that you will turn on your so called wireless powersupply and the mobile phone placed on your desk (And not connected to any powersource by wire) will get charged using it?

If your understanding of the question is correct he will surely win the Nobel Prize not to mention be a wealthy man.

Wireless power transmission as far as I am aware has not yet been invented, not at any significant voltage / current levels you could power something continuously anyway.

I could be wrong though; I would like to see Nigel or Audioguru thoughts on the matter.

Andy

andy257 said:
Wireless power transmission as far as I am aware has not yet been invented, not at any significant voltage / current levels you could power something continuously anyway.

I could be wrong though; I would like to see Nigel or Audioguru thoughts on the matter.

There's another thread elsewhere on these forums about just such a claim, someone has supposedly invented a system for wirelessly charging a phone up to 100m, and is trying to sell it to Nokia?. Why Nokia would be interested (assuming it even did work?) I don't understand? - oh yes!, I'll walk down the garden and leave my phone on the wall (where it can be stolen), then walk back to the house and plug the charger in! :lol:

The general opinion was we didn't believe it, not that it's not possible, but that it's not likely to be efficient enough.

andy257 said:
If your understanding of the question is correct he will surely win the Nobel Prize not to mention be a wealthy man.
Exactly, that’s the reason I wanted to confirm his idea.

i think he means you don't have to plug it in. so you can carry it around with you.

could you count the sun and a solar cell, that is transfering power all the way from the sun wirerlessly

there are companies already working on cordless charging for small devices like cell phones and PDA's and stuff... essentially you just put an inductor in the device with some simple charging circuit, and set it on top of a pad that has a big inductor in it, being driven with some frequency, and it forms a weak transformer, charging the device.

granted, it's only useful for having the device placed right on the charger, it's not going to work if it's feet or even inches away... but it's for those lazy people who can't be bothered to actually plug a cable into their cell phone, they'd rather just drop their keys, phone, PDA, etc onto a pad on their end table when they walk in the house.

it's been done by hobbyists as well
**broken link removed**
not real beautiful, but it powered and charged a wireless mouse.

Hi,
The cordless toothbrushes use the same system, with no electrical contact only magnetic. I think this is wise to make the brush waterproof with no exposed electrical contacts.

If they intend to charge the phone at a distance of 100m, you need a big/strong magnetic field. The undertaker should have great business with all the 'pacemakers' dropping in this.

Could be great in cold days, just wrap yourself with some wire, and get hot :D

TOK ;)

waaaaaa

hehehe thanks for the reply :) my idea is to use maybe a small rf transmitter and the device to be charged would use a rf reciever and then using the frequency oscillations to perform the charging action. That way we could carry our phones while charging even at a distance. However I still have no idea how to go about it since I think rf transmitter and recievers would be quite expensive :cry:

Re: waaaaaa

mastah_chris said:
hehehe thanks for the reply :) my idea is to use maybe a small rf transmitter and the device to be charged would use a rf reciever and then using the frequency oscillations to perform the charging action. That way we could carry our phones while charging even at a distance. However I still have no idea how to go about it since I think rf transmitter and recievers would be quite expensive :cry:

Remember one simple thing! - INVERSE SQUARE LAW- if you don't know what it is, try googling!.

yes, you have to understand... RF recievers USE power, they don't generate it... the amount of power it gets through the antenna is negligible, otherwise it wouldn't need to amplify it :lol:

if you could get it to work at all, you would probably need a transmitter of hundreds of watts just to get enough power at the reciever to even think of charging a cell phone or anything like that, even in a small room... as nigel says, by the inverse square law, the amount of power you need from the transmitter is astronomical if you are expecting any real range out of it... and do you really think using that much power just to charge a cell phone or something is really worth it???

If this form of power transmission was a practical possibility, we would be using it already.
It would be in everyday use.
Is it in everyday use? NO!
Is it practical? NO!

JimB

T_T

I guess it's not really practical designing such a circuit. Thanks for the help guyz. hehehe Hope I could find a nice substitute for a project proposal :(

If the radio frequency could be made very well focussed into a beam, and the receiving antenna has high efficiency, it could probably work, couldn't it?
But i think it would not be efficient, and it would charge only if the device is placed exactly in the very confined RF beam.
And I wonder if the authorities would give permission for such a high power RF transmitters which would probably disturb a lot of other electronic devices.
That's no good news for a cordless RF charger.
Why not try an X-ray beam then? Woe to you, it's said to be dangerous to health.

So the only hope remains that one day u would just put ur cell phone beside ur daily meal into the microwave oven and take it out fully recharged in 5 minutes...

Nikolai Tesla back a long time ago came up with concept of being able to transmit large currents without the use of wires. I thought his idea was a bit crazy. I think you should write up the exact specification you were handed, word for word up on this forum.

mastah_chris said:
Hi :) I'm in my last semester and I was thinking of creating a wireless power supply that could power up certain devices or maybe for charging cellphones. I know you guys are really good and I was hoping if you could help me out. If you know of how to design this or maybe you know any other new projects please reply. Links and ideas will really be appriciated. Thanks guys :?
this is intresting wireless power well , ill be looking into allso as i have a number of high voltage circuits on top of each other and when i switch one on the neon on the other comes on ,and there not even linked so i measured over 9 volts so the idea or wireless chargeing may be ok after all now the high voltage circuit that induced this charge into the other circuit , had an ignition coil in it with its internal sheilding removed so this may of been partially responsible for it to receave of induce the charge into the other circuit thus makeing the neon come on , well two ignition coil driver circuits with modified igntition coils seem to act like transmitt and receave coils for the induced current , with the inner emf sheilding removed from inside the coils , ill look into it more soon

... thus makeing the neon come on , well two ignition coil driver circuits with modified igntition coils seem to act like transmitt and receave coils for the induced current , with the inner emf sheilding removed from inside the coils , ill look into it more soon
Take care to not set off a new kind of electromagnetic tornado in Australia (Or if you do so, name it like Magna Katrina...)
I mean, suppose you do not live on your own in the middle of the desert, you could be well upsetting your neighbors' electronic devices :shock: if you're not careful.
Nikolai Tesla back a long time ago came up with concept of being able to transmit large currents without the use of wires
Well, in Tesla's years there were not cell phones and wireless internet and so on. Today, experimenting with high frequency Tesla coils and the like better be done in a metal cage :D, so you don't cause EMI problems to your precious neighborhood. Just think about that nice lady next door flying off the handle :oops:.
Or what if you bring down American Airlines Flight XYZ way too early? This latter one is a joke, yet not absolutely impossible to imagine, if you live near an airport.

i ned help really badly

gerenis said:
... thus makeing the neon come on , well two ignition coil driver circuits with modified igntition coils seem to act like transmitt and receave coils for the induced current , with the inner emf sheilding removed from inside the coils , ill look into it more soon
Take care to not set off a new kind of electromagnetic tornado in Australia (Or if you do so, name it like Magna Katrina...)
I mean, suppose you do not live on your own in the middle of the desert, you could be well upsetting your neighbors' electronic devices :shock: if you're not careful.
Nikolai Tesla back a long time ago came up with concept of being able to transmit large currents without the use of wires
Well, in Tesla's years there were not cell phones and wireless internet and so on. Today, experimenting with high frequency Tesla coils and the like better be done in a metal cage :D, so you don't cause EMI problems to your precious neighborhood. Just think about that nice lady next door flying off the handle :oops:.
Or what if you bring down American Airlines Flight XYZ way too early? This latter one is a joke, yet not absolutely impossible to imagine, if you live near an airport.
i dont live near air port and the power induced from one circuit to the next is only a short distance apart they are sitting on top of each other , the only aircraft that it would probably upset would be the aussie b56 blowie or tp put it jokeingly a fly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back