Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I need help breaker not tripped!

Status
Not open for further replies.

billybob

My garage outlets no longer work after experiments with my variac. I have checked every breaker but none are tripped. I tried flipping and reflipping some of them to see if the outlets would start working, but nothing! I don't know what to do.

A breaker may not look tripped when it has – the lever may only move slightly. Are the breakers labeled?

Some of them need to have the lever on the breaker moved all the way to the off position when resetting them. Just moving the lever to the on position from the tripped position isn't enough. Tripped and off are two distinct positions even though there isn't much lever movement involved.

Some of them need to have the lever on the breaker moved all the way to the off position when resetting them. Just moving the lever to the on position from the tripped position isn't enough. Tripped and off are two distinct positions even though there isn't much lever movement involved.
Thank you, Thats what I did though. Im thinking maybe a connection in the outlet burnt off or was slowly wiggled off. Would that be a possibility?

Especially since it's a garage. The outlet might be fed from a GFCI. They can be wiired to trip everything downstream.

Breakers don;t generally trip completely. Some do. They trip a "little bit". To reset they have to be moved to fully off and back on.

My guess is a GFCI hiding somewhere.

My garage outlets no longer work after experiments with my variac. I have checked every breaker but none are tripped. I tried flipping and reflipping some of them to see if the outlets would start working, but nothing! I don't know what to do.

As KISS mentioned, your garage outlet is controlled thru one of the GFCI's in your residence in GA. (Kitchen, Bathroom, basement..etc)

I went thru the similar scenario several years ago..

I have a seperate fuse box in my workshop with breakers in which is fed by a higher current breaker in the house. Personally I'd check for mains voltage on each side of your main breaker for the garage then work from there.

Check the panel and reset any breakers that shut off. ... Afterwords my outlet wont work.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trLeLJdMWWI

If all of the garage outlets are "daisy chained" and you have a wire burned off in the first of the chain that would explain it. Next in the US all garage outlets should be on a GFCI and if a GFCI fails all of the "load" outlets tied to it will quit working, I have seen that before.

Finally depending on how many you have I would remove the face plates and remove the outlets one by one inspecting each one. Since you have tried resetting all the breakers as mentioned I would start looking downstream of the breakers. I would also check the downstream side of the breaker labeled for the garage. I assume you have a meter?

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back