Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I need help assembling a list of componenets from a video

Status
Not open for further replies.

3dd

I want to achieve the same results as in the video.

I need help with a list of components that will be needed.

I've found the proper transformer I believe:

**broken link removed**

I have a few multimeter.

I need help in knowing how the cables off the transformers are wired. Is there an oscilloscope involved, or HV PSU, or maybe a variac?

Last edited by a moderator:
Given the power used and the effect, why would you want to reproduce it in the first place? This is basic eddy current levitation with an AC field..

It's a gimmick/magic trick nothing really useful.

You could do the same thing with a few static neodymium magnets and a spinning disc.

Last edited:
I want to be able to vary the settings...without losing a finger. : p I also don't think you could get a fast enough spin rate to match the alternation of frequency in the
transformer.

So what is the purpose?

I'm fascinated about about the fact that qualities of metal or materials can change.

I'm fascinated about about the fact that qualities of metal or materials can change.

hi 3dd,
I agree with you, sometimes we do projects just for the interest and what we may learn while doing simple experiments, so do not be put off by other peoples negativity.

When you get the 4 coils set up, I expect they will be powered from the local mains supply, so if you do use a Variac, be aware the Variac will not provide mains isolation.

If you do get in working, please post some images.

E.

BTW: the transformer link doesn't work.

Last edited:
3dd said:

I'm slightly confused by this statement because no material properties change in this video. This is nothing more than four AC magnets setting up eddy currents in the aluminum plate which oppose the magnetic field, the only reason it stays centered is because of the placement of the magnets, as it drifts closer/further away from one magnet a net force causing it to center occurs.

I have to respectfully disagree. Is it not a "property" of aluminum to be non magnetic...? When I used the term "qualities" I meant simply to imply that a characteristic had alternated due to an interaction in an experiment.

I'm sorry 3dd, but this is not a matter of agreement or disagreement, the aluminum remains non-magnetic throughout the entire experiment, this is science fact.

What you are seeing is an alternating magnetic field inducing an electric current in the metal plate, all electric currents create magnetic fields and it happens to be the reverse of the applied field with non-magnetic materials, NO property of the material changes it's exhibiting the same ones, this is just a very clear case of it showing off the basic EM properties of non conductive metals which are otherwise not visible in static or slow moving magnetic fields.

Wants to see something that will really blow your mind?

This is the exact same thing that's happening in the video you linked, you just don't understand the basic properties of the materials and how the interact with magnetic fields. It's your lack of understanding that make's you think the material is changing which is NOT the case. in the case of the magnet down the tube, those neo magnets are incredibly strong, multiple orders of magnitude stronger than the weak ones that levitated that plate, but they're fixed... There in comes the magic, the magnet is falling but the tube is not so all of a sudden it's a moving magnetic field (AC) and a REALLY good conductor (copper) The falling magnet induces a current in the pipe opposite that of the static magnet and this slows the fall of the magnet through the pipe.

Please feel free to research the eddy current effect, and strong moving magnetic field interaction in the presence of non-magnetic metals.

Experiments like this look more than what they are because you can't mentally link the two events together the only way to understand what's going on is to have a fundamental understanding of the physics involved, experimenting with projects will teach you nothing until you learn the physics involved.

Here's another good link for you. Try the Wikipedia articles on magnetic fields, the electro magnetic fields (they're intertwined) and keep reading from there.

Bonus points if you can figure out how this one works ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back