Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I need a laser

Status
Not open for further replies.

edisonboy

I have seen these on garage doors before. They are used to stop the door from coming down if something breaks the beam. Can you buy those as-is.

Thanks

Ed

u can buy anything if u have enough money in your pocket. :)
The light used in automated doors to detect presence of some object is not laser i believe, becaz laser is dangerous and restrictions apply by IEC and governmental laws on use of laser. Even there are precautions written on the CD ROM back cover not to encounter the laser beam inside the CD ROM. Rather infrared/ultraviolet may be used.
If u need to build a system to detect presence of an object, u may use IR or UV. Proximity sensors are also available in the market for this purpose.

- Ali Sajjad

Those might be an infra-red LED with companion receiver.

Lasers do seem to be well regulated because of the dangers however low power versions appear in low-cost, everyday items. I purchased a laser level - the range is at least 500 yards - for very little money - very low power. Laser diode pointers have been quite popular here for many years. There is usually a warning that you should not look directly into the beam but otherwise they appear to have been judged safe enough for the average consumer.

I've got to wonder if some separate versions aren't available for use in security applications as a replacement for the old light, lens and photocell arrangement.

stevez said:
Those might be an infra-red LED with companion receiver.

Lasers do seem to be well regulated because of the dangers however low power versions appear in low-cost, everyday items. I purchased a laser level - the range is at least 500 yards - for very little money - very low power. Laser diode pointers have been quite popular here for many years. There is usually a warning that you should not look directly into the beam but otherwise they appear to have been judged safe enough for the average consumer.

I've got to wonder if some separate versions aren't available for use in security applications as a replacement for the old light, lens and photocell arrangement.

Laser pointers were MISjudged to be safe enough for the average consumer. They're class IIIa lasers, and very dangerous, especially with the number of numbskulls running around with them, shining them where ever they please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back