Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I have fallen in love with my mouse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

q5101997

I have been designing a mousetrap for two years. I have a few posts regarding this. I have kept experimental mice in the process. Some have died. Some have become pregnant and died. Some have been killed by idiots that I have allowed into my house. But I love this one. Having spent many hours whith her, I love her. I also have a rat in my house. I do not love this rat. I tried to trap it with my trap, but it is clever. In the proccess of refining my trap, the rat escaped from my trap. It now knows not to enter my trap. As they say, "the best layed plans of mice and men". Now what?

Rats are very clever. If you can design a trap that will always get the rat no matter what, then you have a great product.

I've found the electronic rat trap ($39.95 @ Home Depot), to be very effective. Had a neighbor who put food out for every living thing around, which eventually attracted rats. The traditional spring traps seemed to be a one time use. The electronic ones are usually successful in one night. Still get an occasional rat on the back porch. My dog is good at pointing them out, and guess it's fortunate that he doesn't catch them.

I use a piece of chewy dog treat (bacon flavor) for bait, wired across the back end of the trap. Rat doesn't get a chance to eat the bait, and doesn't seem to rot or mold, haven't replaced it.

I have a spring door trap that has never failed to catch a rat. I use a fresh cut-up apple as bait. The little bastards just can't resist it. I catch them and re-introduce them back into the forest. Far, far away, of course.

I have a spring door trap that has never failed to catch a rat. I use a fresh cut-up apple as bait. The little bastards just can't resist it. I catch them and re-introduce them back into the forest. Far, far away, of course.

I keep getting these abandoned rats near my forest home. I catch them and take them into town and dump them next door to a person who loves to feed everything that moves. :D

If you tag yours and I will tag mine! ;)

Fortunately around here we dont seem to have rats to any problem atic degree. The local cat and dog population takes care of most anything that comes around thats not also a cat or dog. :)

HAHA! Well I'm glad you haul them into town, because I live in the woods. I just haul them from one part of the forest to another part far away. But I never haul away the snakes I catch ( unless I find a cotton mouth ) The snakes help to keep the rat population down.

EDIT: Here's a pic of my Applician mountain home in Alabama. Right behind the house is a ridge from which you can see across the Tennessee Valley. A little overgrown right now. Keep in mind that I spent the Summer recovering from a stroke.

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
In Germany we have ferret like animals that climb into your warm engine bay when its cold out and chew wires to pass the time. My wife has a friend who lives on the edge of the woods and his car was repeatedly "attacked". He tried relocating them 4 or 5 times and finally came up with the greatest (although I will admit kind of crule) trap Ive ever heard of.

It was a basic snare trap (you know....bend the tree over put a snare on the end and when they step on it the tree springs up and the animal is hanging in the air) but instead of the snare being tied directly to the tree it was tied to several larger balloons filled with helium!!!!! Apparently he bated this thing near his car before bed and by the morning "the balloons" were gone!!!!!

mouse love

Having spent many hours whith her, I love her

In some locations there are laws against this.:D:D

In Germany we have ferret like animals that climb into your warm engine bay when its cold out and chew wires to pass the time. My wife has a friend who lives on the edge of the woods and his car was repeatedly "attacked". He tried relocating them 4 or 5 times and finally came up with the greatest (although I will admit kind of crule) trap Ive ever heard of.

It was a basic snare trap (you know....bend the tree over put a snare on the end and when they step on it the tree springs up and the animal is hanging in the air) but instead of the snare being tied directly to the tree it was tied to several larger balloons filled with helium!!!!! Apparently he bated this thing near his car before bed and by the morning "the balloons" were gone!!!!!

Atleast the animal gets a good view of the country before it passes away :)

So what do the people in another country think when they find the ballons? :confused::eek: :D:D

Now to have their looks on camera! :D:D

Yes, since they chew through wires, how long would it take them to figure out to chew through the string attaching them to the balloon!

Just long enough to get way up there! :D

Rats are very clever. If you can design a trap that will always get the rat no matter what, then you have a great product.

(((((())))))
((((BAIT))))
(((((())))))

--LASER------------------------ (((photosensor))) --> nuclear bomb

That could work? :D Use enough lasers and it'll always get the rat, I don't know about a "great product" though :D maybe other criteria are involved :p

Last edited:

((((())))))
(((BAIT)))
((((())))))

--LASER------------------------ (((photosensor))) --> nuclear bomb

That could work? :D Use enough lasers and it'll get the rat, I don't know about a "great product" though :D maybe other criteria are involved :p

I'm afraid that will be too effective, don'cha know? ;)

You could charge every neighbour within a 5-10 mile radius to have their rat problems dealt with too! :D Money-making scheme anyone? :D

Last edited:

Just take em down to ya local chinese resturant and make a bit of cash, catch enough and retire early......

Just take em down to ya local chinese resturant and make a bit of cash, catch enough and retire early......

Ouch :D that's a bad way to go, even for a rat! My sister used to do that with pigeons in trafalgar square until the restaurant got fined for accepting them.

Edit: Oh noes :rolleyes: I just lost reputation for 'silly notions' :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back